VCU Falls on Road to Red Hot Fordham Squad 71-41
FINAL: Fordham 71, VCU 41 (Bronx, N.Y. – Rose Hill Gym)
VCU STARTERS: #1 Atwater, #14 Adebayo, #20 Alaeze, #23 Pellechio, #24 Parks
FORDHAM STARTERS: #1 Rooney, #2 Collins, #24 Clark, #25 Strickland, #42 Corning
- Junior Robyn Parks scored a team-high 19 points, including 11 in the second half, but VCU couldn't overcome a red hot Fordham squad as the Rams fell 71-41 Saturday afternoon at Rose Hill Gym.
- Fordham, which has won 10 of its last 12 games including a 5-1 start to Atlantic 10 play, shot 51 percent from the floor and knocked down a season-high 13 3-pointers.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Fordham caught fire from the beginning, hitting eight of its first 14 from the field, and eventually built a 35-10 advantage with 3:23 left in the opening period.
- VCU responded by scoring nine of 12 points during a nearly three-minute stretch, including back-to-back baskets from Parks, and pulled within 38-19 with nine seconds showing.
- However, Fordham remained hot and Erin Rooney knocked down her third 3-pointer of the half as time expired to give her squad a 41-19 advantage at the break.
- Senior Daphne Adebayo snagged an offensive rebound and converted a layup to cap an 11-5 VCU run as the Black and Gold pulled within 50-32 with 13:28 remaining. But Fordham answered with 11 straight points, including back-to-back triples, and kept its pace the rest of the way.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
- Adebayo added seven points and five rebounds for VCU, while freshman Kaneisha Atwater chipped in six points and dished out a team-high four assists.
- Parks, who went 7-of-8 from the free throw line, has hit 44 of her last 54 from the charity stripe.
- VCU and Fordham met Saturday for the first time in program history.
WHAT'S AHEAD: VCU returns to the Verizon Wireless Arena against Saint Joseph's on Feb. 6. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. The Rams then travel to St. Bonaventure on Feb. 10 before hosting La Salle on Feb. 17. Check VCUAthletics.com for complete game coverage.