Women's Basketball Gameday Central: VCU vs. Rhode Island (March 3, 2013)
|Who:||VCU (10-18, 3-10 A-10) vs. Rhode Island (6-22, 1-12 A-10)|
Sunday, March 3 - 2 p.m.
|Arena:||Verizon Wireless Arena at the Stuart C. Siegel Center|
|TV:||CBS Sports Network (Play-by-Play: John Sadak | Color: Julianne Viani)|
|Game Notes:||VCU | Rhode Island
|Social Media:||VCU Athletics Twitter | VCU Athletics Scores Twitter | VCU Athletics Facebook|
Both VCU and Rhode Island are unranked.
VCU HEAD COACH MARLENE STOLLINGS
Stollings (Ohio, '98) is in her first season at VCU. She joined the Rams after spending the 2011-12 campaign as head coach at Winthrop University, where she was named 2012 Big South Coach of the Year after leading the Eagles to more than 40 school records.
RHODE ISLAND HEAD COACH CATHY INGLESE
Inglese is 23-91 in four seasons at Rhode Island, but boasts more than 415 wins in 26 years as a collegiate head coach, including 275 victories in 15 seasons at Boston College, where she made seven NCAA Tournament appearances.
Today's game marks the first-ever meeting in the series.
- Junior Robyn Parks, who currently leads the A-10 in scoring (18.4 ppg), registered a game-high 25 points Thursday at Charlotte. She has scored 20-plus points in three straight and four of her last five games. Parks is averaging 21.4 points, 10.2 rebounds and 3.6 steals since Feb. 10.
- Four of VCU's top six scorers are freshmen. At least one rookie has scored in double figures in all but three games this year.
- Freshman Jessica Pellechio leads the A-10 with 2.8 3-pointers per game. She also ranks third on VCU's single-season 3-pointer list with 68 (tops in A-10).
- VCU ranks second in the A-10 in steals (11.1 spg). The Rams have also forced 20 or more turnovers 10 different times, including their last two outings (20 vs. Xavier; 24 at Charlotte).
SCOUTING RHODE ISLAND
- Rhode Island is coming off a 60-50 setback against Richmond on Wednesday. The loss was the Rams third straight and 16th in their last 17 games.
- Head Coach Cathy Inglese, who is in her fourth season at Rhode Island, boasts more than 415 wins in 26 years as a collegiate head coach.
- Much like VCU, five Rhode Island freshmen average double-digit minutes. The Rams also have two sophomores reaching that mark.
- Freshman guard Tayra Melendez has been named Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Week twice this season.
- Three times this year Rhode Island has held an opponent to less than 40 points.
- The Rams dished out a season-high 28 assists against Rhode Island College on Dec. 16. The total matched the program record set in both 1982 and 1994.