VCU Opens New Year with Dominating 82-47 Win Over Maine
FINAL: VCU 82, Maine 47 (Richmond, Va. – Verizon Wireless Arena)
VCU STARTERS: #3 Green, #11 Hobson, #22 Williams, #24 Parks, #30 Henry, S.
MAINE STARTERS: #4 Anderson, #5 Walczak, #20 Weckstrom, #31 Wood, #34 Wellington
THE BASICS: Junior Robyn Parks recorded her fifth double-double of the season with a game-high 24 points and 11 rebounds, and led five VCU players in double-figure scoring as the Rams earned a dominating 82-47 victory over visiting Maine on Tuesday afternoon. It was the Rams' second win over the Black Bears this season as VCU picked up a 74-58 win in Orono on Nov. 24.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- A layup by Danielle Walczak gave Maine (1-12) a narrow 6-4 advantage less than three minutes into the game but it was the last time the Black Bears would lead as VCU (7-7) responded with an 18-6 run, built a 22-12 lead at the 9:01 mark, and took control from there.
- The Rams led by as many as 13 points on two occasions the rest of the half before back-to-back triples from Courtney Anderson and Liz Wood made it a seven-point game with 1:49 to go before the break.
- VCU, which eventually took a 35-24 lead into the locker room, put the game out of reach with an impressive start to the second period. After Corinne Wellington cut the Black Bears' deficit to 37-29 with 18:02 showing, the Rams responding with a 43-12 surge over the next 15 minutes and built its largest lead, 80-41, with 3:02 to go.
- VCU held Maine to eight second-half field goals, including just three during the first 11 minutes.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
- VCU recorded 21 steals (five shy of the school's single-game record) and dished out 26 assists (three away from the program's single-game mark). The Rams also forced 27 Maine turnovers.
- Senior Carleeda Green and freshman Kaneisha Atwater combined for 14 assists and just two turnovers at the point guard position. The duo also provided 24 points and six steals.
- Five VCU players scored in double figures for the second time this season. In addition to Parks' game-high 24 points, freshman Janniina Koivunen chipped in a career-best 14, Atwater finished with 13, senior Robyn Hobson added 12 and Green recorded 11. In all, nine different players scored for the Rams.
- Junior Shekinah Henry, who finished with 10 rebounds, logged her fourth double-digit effort on the glass this year.
- VCU's 47 second-half points were as many as Maine scored the entire game. It was also the third time this season the Rams held an opponent to under 50 points and the seventh time to fewer than 60. VCU is now 7-0 when allowing less than 60 points in a game.
- The Rams registered a season-high five blocks.
- VCU won its second straight game at home and improved to 4-2 inside the Verizon Wireless Arena this year.
- Tuesday marked VCU's second New Years Day contest in program history.
WHAT'S AHEAD: VCU hosts Youngstown State on Friday, Jan. 4 in its final non-conference game of the season. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. The Rams then compete in their first-ever Atlantic 10 contest Jan. 12 at Saint Louis before traveling to Temple on Jan. 16. Check VCUAthletics.com for complete game coverage.