Meet: Christopher Newport University Invitational
Location: Newport News, Va. (Lee Hall Mansion)
Distance: 8,000 Meters
Team Scoring: 1-William and Mary 27, 2-VCU 50, 3-Hampton 51
The Short Story: The VCU men showed well at the Christopher Newport University Invitational, as three runners came away with personal records in the 8,000-meter run. Junior Bismillah Alidost lead the way for the Rams, with freshman Bryce Catlett finishing seventh to continue his hot streak.
THE FINISH LINE
- Bismillah Alidost came across the line first for the Rams, finishing fifth with a time of 26:06, a personal record for him in the 8,000-meter run.
- Bryce Catlett came across second for the Rams; the first time this season Catlett has not been the Rams' top finisher. He recorded a time of 26:17.
- Freshman Lucas Sidle joined the PR-setting party, posting a time of 26:43 and placing 10th.
- Freshman Brandon Wells secured a PR as well after finishing 13th with a time of 27:07.
- Sophomore Michael Villagomez had a respectable 16th-place finish with a time of 28:27.
- Four VCU men ran in the mixed 3,000-meter run. Senior Calvin Wood finished first, posting a time 9:26 which nearly broke the course record. Sophomore Victory Harrison finished close behind Wood with a time of 9:32 to place second.
- Freshmen Matthew Pittman and Andrae McGowan finished with times of 10:05 and 10:18, respectively.
"Men ran well today with a slow, muddy start. Alidost led the team with a PR, then Catlett, Sidle with a PR, Wells with a PR, and Villagomez to round out the scoring. The guys are headed in the right direction before conference and becoming more consistent." –VCU Head Coach Nicole Cook
The Rams head to Pole Green Park in Mechanicsville, Va. on Saturday, Oct. 29 where they will compete in the Atlantic 10 Cross Country Championships.