EVENT: Paul Short Invitational (Bethlehem, Pa.)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU Men's and Women's Cross Country teams ran strong races, against a very deep field, at the Paul Short Invitational in Bethlehem, Pa. The men finished in 29th place, while the women finished 40th.
- Leading the men was senior Brenden Leavitt, who finished in 37th place. Leavitt, continued to improve his 8K time, and brought it down to a 24:48.
- The men's team also received strong performances from sophomores Mohamed Adam, Samuel Hush, and senior Justin Kendall. Adam finished with a 25:49, while Hush and Kendall finished seconds apart at 26:28 and 26:35, respectively.
- Junior Erin Geraghty paced the women's team finishing with a time of 24:06.
- Freshmen Lindsey Bradshaw and Brianna Krumholz continued their string of good races, as well. Bradshaw finished with a 24:54, while Krumholz finished at 25:16.
37th- Brenden Leavitt, 24:48
131st - Mohamed Adam, 25:49
205th- Sam Hush, 26:28
214th- Justin Kendall, 26:35
231st- Khalid Khamis, 26:52
247th- Alex Hinton, 27:27
249th- Matthew Earman, 27:31
244th- Erin Geraghty, 24:06
267th- Lindsey Bradshaw, 24:54
270th- Brianna Krumholz, 25:16
271st- Niema Eaves, 25:16
277th- Samantha Florimo, 26:59
278th- Kelsey Cox, 27:42
The guys ran really well today, not only with their times, but how they approached the race. They ran smart and competed, especially in the last mile. I didn't see any of them get passed in the last straightaway. They started conservatively, didn't panic, and picked people off the entire time.
-Volunteer Assistant Coach Spencer Hawthorne on the men's race
"The girls ran well within a pack today, and stayed within reaching distance of each other. Even with this being a lot of their first 6ks, I think they showed confidence and grit in the last K of the race."
-Volunteer Assistant Coach Spencer Hawthorne on the women's race
Both the men's and women's cross country teams return to action on Oct. 13 when they compete at the Christopher Newport Invite in Newport News, Va.