Meet: VCU Ram Invite (Day two of two)
Location: Richmond, Va. (Sports Backers Stadium)
Results: All Results
The Short Story: VCU continued to dominate on the second day of the Ram Invite with seniors stepping up during their day of recognition. Six seniors on the men's side earned first place finishes.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In a two-team 4x400 meter relay race between VCU and Virginia State, the Rams pulled out a win. The squad completed the relay in 3:15.64, two seconds quicker than the competition. Three seniors, Devon Thompson, Bigal Harrison, and Kahlil Shepard, as well as sophomore Chukwuezugo Aguolu made up the team.
- Senior Shawn Scornaienchi won the javelin by a nine-meter margin. His final mark was 54.85m. It was Scornaienchi's second event win of the meet.
- In the men's long jump, senior Marcus Finnie claimed first place in a field of 14 by leaping 6.73m.
- Another champion was Ian Davis in the 110 meter hurdles. Davis outraced everybody to a 15.36 time and a first place finish.
- Freshman Xyan Xrichardson placed second in the high jump by clearing the 1.95m mark.
- Will Schwartz set a new personal best in the discus with a 42.03m mark. He placed fourth overall.
Assistant Coach Tom Sage on the Meet:
"It's great to have a home meet. Obviously, we were hoping for better weather, but we liked the effort we saw out of all our kids. We came away with a few titles in events and we're looking forward to heading down to South Florida next week."
The Rams travel to the University of South Florida for the second of their three out-of-state meets this season. The Bulls Invitational will begin Thursday, March 22.