Meet: VCU Ram Invite (Day one of two)
Location: Richmond, Va. (Sports Backers Stadium)
Results: Day one results
The Short Story: VCU competed in the first day of the Ram Invite and found tremendous success, winning four of the twelve events. The Rams dominated the 200 meter and claimed the top four spots.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Taylor Watkins was the first to cross the line in the women's 200 meter. Watkins completed the half-lap in 24.85, a personal best for the junior. Three other VCU sprinters trailed Watkins by less than a second. Sophomore Kayla Smith was the second place finisher with a 24.90. Alexis Willis and Candice James placed third and fourth, respectively. James' 25.08 was also a personal best.
- VCU also took control in the women's 1500 meter run with senior Courtney Holleran taking first place. Holleran's time was 4:56.59. Not far behind was fellow senior Ashley Brown, coming in at 4:57.83.
- Taylor McCormick leapt to another first place finish in the women's triple jump with a mark of 12.15m.
- On the men's side, senior Shawn Scornaienchi earned a win in the shot put with a 14.41m mark. Jacob Greenless placed second in his first collegiate hammer throw. The freshman set a mark of 49.02m.
- Also earning a second place finish was Bryce Catlett in the men's 1500 meter run. Catlett, who crossed the line just 0.81 seconds behind the first place finisher, recorded a new personal best in the event with a 4:02.66.
The Rams compete in the second day of the Ram Invite with the field events beginning at 10 A.M. Running events kickoff at 11:40 A.M. with the Alumni 4x100 meter relay. There will be a ceremony following the men's 4x100 meter relay to honor the team's graduating seniors.