Meet: Atlantic 10 Indoor Track and Field Championships (Day 1 of 2)
Location: Kingston, R.I.
Results: Day 1
The Short Story: On the first day of the Atlantic 10 Indoor Championships Marcus Finnie scored points in the long jump while other sprinters earned appearances in Sunday's finals.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Finnie placed second in the long jump adding seven points to the Rams' effort. It was Finnie's first attempt on the day that would prove to be his best. The senior cleared 7.13m, .02m farther than the 7.11m mark he set earlier this season at the CNU Holiday Invite.
- Finnie will also be advancing to the 60-meter finals with teammates Kareem Payne and Jamik Alexander. Payne and Finnie also placed in the top eight of the 200-meter.
- In the weight throw, it was freshman Will Schwartz scoring points for VCU. The Powhatan, Va. native took sixth place in the event with a 15.27m throw for three points and a personal best mark.
- Sophomore Chukwuezugo Aguolu and senior Devon Thompson earned trips to the tomorrow's 400-meter finals after they placed second and third, respectively. Aguolu's 49.90 was a personal best.
- Sophomore Ian Davis will advance after placing fourth in the 60-meter hurdle prelims.
Atlantic 10 Championship action continues tomorrow, Feb. 18.