May 04, 2014
- Event: 2014 Atlantic 10 Outdoor Track & Field Championship
- Location: UMass Track & Field Complex – Amherst, Mass.
- Results: Click Here
- The Short Story: Junior throwers Brandon Ruffin and Ryan Coles combined for 45 points to lead a strong effort by the VCU men's track & field squad at this weekend's 2014 Atlantic 10 Outdoor Championships. Ruffin was named Most Outstanding Field Athlete with two individual titles at the meet. In all, the Black & Gold took home nine medals on the men's side.
- Ruffin earned Most Outstanding Field Athlete with two golds and a total of 23 points for the Black & Gold. He had the top mark in the shot put (56' 11 ¼") and the discus (167' 5"), along with Saturday's top-six performance in the hammer. Ruffin also earned the Most Outstanding Award at the indoor meet in February.
- Coles scored 22 points for the Rams with three top-three finishes, earning silver in the shot put (55' 2 ¼") and discus (166'), along with his bronze from Saturday in the hammer.
- After earning a top-four finish in the high jump on Saturday, sophomore Xavier Waller came back on Sunday to grab bronze in the decathlon with a score of 6000. Waller won the 100-meter, 400-meter and 110-meter hurdles as part of the decathlon. Sophomore Evan Morton finished sixth in the event.
- Junior George Moore had a strong showing at the meet with a second-place finish in the 400-meter with a time of 47.59. He also ran the anchor leg on the sixth-place 4x100 meter relay (42.98) and fourth-place 4x400 meter relay (3:18.80).
- Senior Chase Turner finished his VCU career by earning a bronze medal in the 110-meter hurdles, clocking in at 14.98.
- Freshman Racheed Davis earned bronze in the triple jump with a leap of 45' 11 ¼".
- Senior Andrew Shipp finished his career by being a part of eight points for the Black & Gold. In addition to his point scoring effort in Saturday's long jump, Shipp came back on Sunday for a fifth-place finish in the triple jump with a distance of 44' 10 ¾". He also ran the third leg of the sixth-place 4x100 meter relay squad.
- Junior Tehquin Warrick and freshman Darius Green were both a part of both point-scoring relay squads.