Event: George Mason Spring Invite
Location: Mason Stadium – Fairfax, Va.
Results: Click Here
The Short Story: Juniors Brandon Ruffin (pictured, main) and Ryan Coles (pictured, right) stole the show for the VCU men's track & field at this past weekend's Mason Spring Invite. Ruffin and Coles took the top two spots in the shot put and then both turned around for top-six finishes in the discus. Ruffin set a new school record in the shot put, breaking a 19-year old mark. With 43 points, the men's squad finished seventh of 23 squads that competed at the event.
- The shot put was the big event of the day for the Rams with Ruffin and Coles taking first and second places in the event. Ruffin's winning throw of 57'8.5 was a new school record, breaking the 19 year old mark by nearly a foot and a half. The mark currently has Ruffin ranked 31st in the east region and should be strong enough to carry him to the NCAA Post Season this year. Coles' throw of 54'3.75 was just off his PR that he set last week.
- Coles and Ruffin returned in the discus immediately following the shot put. This time Coles had the top billing with a fourth place throw of 162'3, continuing his streak of meets over 160 feet to four. Ruffin's throw of 151'9 was good enough for sixth on the day.
- The Men's 4x4 relay just missed out on a medal stand spot with their fourth place effort of 3:18.81.
- Freshman Racheed Davis took home eighth place in the triple jump with a mark of 45'7.
- Chase Turner took 10th in the 110 hurdles in 14.97, just a few tenths off of his PR.
- Khalid Khamis notched a significant PR in the 800 ducking under 1:53 for the first time with a time of 1:52.17.
- Freshman Ben Sorensen notched a strong 12th place finish in a very deep 5000 with a PR time of 15:14.64.
- George Moore became the first Ram this season to break 22 seconds in the 200 with his slightly wind aided time of 21.93.
- Next weekend, the Rams will send split squads to the Kentucky Relays and the Morgan State Legacy Meet.