Event: Fred Hardy Invitational
Location: Robins Stadium – Richmond, Va.
Results: Click Here
The Short Story: Juniors Ryan Coles (pictured, right) (discus) and Mohamed Adam (pictured, main) (10000m) each grabbed victories to highlight VCU men's track & field's showing at the Fred Hardy Invitational. Coles added a PR in the hammer throw to his weekend, while teammate Brandon Ruffin also posted a top-three performance with a second-place showing in the discus.
- Coles led the way by winning the discus on Saturday with a mark of 165' 2 ¼", making him the third thrower in school history to eclipse the 165-foot barrier. On Friday, he kicked things off for VCU with a fourth-place showing in the hammer with his second PR of the season in the event at 162' 10". Both marks improved his standing as third all-time at VCU in those events.
- Adam grabbed a gold medal of his own in the 10,000 with a time of 32:01.47, more than 20 seconds ahead of second place. Matt Earman also represented the Rams in the race, finishing seventh.
- Ruffin finished close by his teammate in both throwing events with a seventh place showing in the hammer with a distance of 157' 5 ½" and his silver medal effort in the discus of 161' 1 ½".
- Xavier Waller and Christopher Smith both cleared 6' 2" in the high jump. Waller took fourth place and Smith was tied for fifth when misses were accounted for.
- Freshmen Ben Sorensen and Austin Lushinski made their outdoor 3000m debuts for VCU. Sorensen took fifth in 8:53.57 and Lushinski eighth in 9:15.60.
- Senior Andrew Shipp had a strong jump of 21' 11 ¾" to take home sixth in the long jump.
- Freshman Racheed Davis grabbed 7th place in the triple jump with his leap of 44' 5 ¼".
- The 4x400 relay team of Jacob Garcia, Waller, Khalid Khamis, and George Moore grabbed fifth place in the event with a time of 3:21.81. The Rams second relay consisting of Darius Green, Shipp, Smith, and Derrian Fleming took the eighth spot on the day.
- The Rams hit the road next weekend to take part in the prestigious Florida Relays in Gainesville, Fla.