Meet: VT Hokie Invitational
Location: Rector Field House – Blacksburg, Va.
Results: Click Here
The Short Story: Facing off against five ACC teams, 1 SEC team and some of the best programs in the Southeast, junior Khalid Khamis had the highlight performance of the weekend for the VCU men's track & field squad with a dominating victory in the 600-meters. The Rams' shot putters stepped up with two top-three performances from Ryan Cole and Brandon Ruffin.
- Khalid Khamis had the highlight performance of the meet for the Rams, winning gold in the 600-meter on Saturday with a time of 1:22.67, nearly a second ahead of his nearest competitor.
- VCU's throwing core got into the action with a strong weekend in the shot put. Junior Ryan Coles posted a lifetime best with a distance of 54' 8 ¼", followed closely by classmate Brandon Ruffin's throw of 52' 2".
- The 5000-meters was another strong event for the Black & Gold. Classmates Mohamed Adam, Sam Hush, and Matt Earman doubled back from the 3000 on Friday night for the Saturday morning event and took 6th, 7th, and 9th places respectively.
- Xavier Waller continued to show his determination in his sophomore campaign as he twice set personal bests in the 60 Hurdles. In the prelims he lowered his best time in the event by more than a tenth of a second to 8.34. He returned in the finals to drop that mark to 8.30 to take 6th place. He was followed closely by Kyle Martin, who was eighth in the final at 8.31 seconds. Chase Turner just missed the finals with his 10th place finish in the prelims of 8.40.
- George Moore had a strong weekend as well with a multitude of performances. On Friday, he became the first Ram to break 35 seconds in the 300 with a time of 34.61 to finish seventh in the event. He came back on Saturday to finish fifth in the 400 in 49.55 seconds.
- Moore was joined in the top spots in the 400 by classmate Tehquin Warrick, who took 7th place with his time of 50.29.
- Sophomore Darius Moffet turned in a 10th place showing in the long jump with his lifetime best performance for the rams of 21'2.5"
- Moore and Warrick later teamed up with Kyle Sipple and Xavier Waller to take 6th place in the 4x400 relay. The B team of Jacob Garcia, Darius Green, Andrew Shipp, and Khamis were just off the pace finishing in 8th place.
- Sipple in his own individual efforts just missed out on a top 10 performance with an 11th place finish in the 800.
- "Khalid is a guy we have always had a lot of expectations for. Coach Cook is working hard with him early this season to give prepare him with the necessary speed to battle at the end of races moving forward. We know he has the potential to be a middle distance force for us and this weekend's performances showed that he is developing a good deal of confidence and the speed to go out and exceed our expectations for him in the coming weeks." – Head Coach Jon Riley
- "Coach Tussing has been saying for weeks that Ryan Coles is ready for a big season in the throwing circle for us. He is one of our most dedicated and hard working athletes and we know that this start to the season, with two PRs in his two competitions, is just the tip of the iceberg for what all of the hard work he is putting in." – Head Coach Jon Riley
- "Xavier continues to show the athleticism he showed us coming out of high school this season. His ability to make an impact in a number of different events is going to make it difficult on us to decide on how to best utilize him during championship time. That's a struggle we as a coaching staff gladly welcome and are excited to tackle with such a talented individual." – Head Coach Jon Riley
- "George had a really strong weekend and is leading our sprints corps this season on the men's side with his own batch of consistency and strong performances every time we put him out there. He is showing improved speed this season and he is looking towards using the next couple of meets as an opportunity to display that he is ready to take his talents to the next level." – Head Coach Jon Riley
- The Rams will split up next week with some of the team traveling to the Penn State Invitational and others traveling to the Patriot Games at George Mason. Both meets will be held on Saturday, February 1st.