MEET: Vanderbilt Invitational (Nashville, Tenn.)
THE BASICS: VCU had a strong showing at the two-day Vanderbilt Invitational over the weekend. The men's track and field program saw eight athletes set personal records for themselves.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Sophomore Tehquin Warrick ran a season-best 21.86 seconds in the 200-meter dash, placing seventh. While freshman Desmond Smallwood set an outdoor personal record with a time of 22.37 second, finishing in 15th place.
- In the 400-meter race, VCU placed two in the top 10. Leading the way was George Moore, who finished eighth, with a personal record time of 48.35 seconds. Finishing just behind Moore, was Warrick, who ran a personal-best 48.40 seconds in eighth place.
- VCU had two runners finish in the top seven of the 800-meter race. Junior Kyle Sipple, placed sixth, posting a personal record time of 1:53.52. Sophomore Khalid Khamis was just place behind Sipple, running a personal record 1:53.60.
- In the 110-meter hurdles VCU had two top five finishers. Leading the way was freshman Kyle Martin, who ran a 15.09 seconds, finishing third. In fifth place was junior Chase Turner, who posted a time of 15.17 seconds.
- The Rams' 4x100-meter relay team ran a season's best time, placing fourth. The team of senior Tyler Jackson, Warrick, Moore and Smallwood posted a time of 41.99 seconds.
- VCU's 4x400-meter relay team, which consists of Warrick, senior Dominic Costanzo, Sipple and Moore, won the event with a season-best time of 3:14.36.
- Senior Kenneth Wooten won the javelin throw with a personal record toss of 55.88-meters.
- In the shot put, sophomore Brandon Ruffin unleashed a toss of 15.25-meters placing fourth. Senior Luke Thomason, who finished fifth, tossed a personal record throw of 15.02-meters.
- Senior Frank Afriyie finished third in the discus throw with a throw of 49.11-meters.
- VCU had three top 10 finishers in the hammer throw. Sophomore Ryan Coles led the way with a personal record toss of 48.29-meters, placing seventh. A spot behind Coles, was Afriyie who launched a toss of 47.85-meters, finishing in eighth place. Ruffin finished in 10th place with a throw of 46.41-meters.
VCU concludes the regular season at the Penn Relays next weekend, April 25-26. The Atlantic 10 Championships are set for May 4-5 at Charlotte in Charlotte, N.C.