MEET: Fred Hardy Invitational (Richmond, Va. – Robins Stadium)
THE BASICS: The VCU Men's Track and Field program continued its 2013 outdoor season with the second day of the Fred Hardy Invitational at the University of Richmond.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Freshman Desmond Smallwood finished eighth in the 100-meter dash with a time of 11.12 seconds.
- In the 400-meter race, junior Kyle Sipple placed 10th with a time of 49.92 seconds.
- Sophomore Mohamed Adam set a personal record in the 3000-meter race. He ran a time of 8:39.62, finishing sixth.
- VCU had two top five finishers in the 110-meter hurdles. Leading the way was junior Chase Turner, who ran a 14.81 seconds, to finish second. Right behind Turner, was freshman Kyle Martin, who was in third with a time of 14.89 seconds.
- In the 4x100-meter relay, the team of senior Tyler Jackson, sophomore Tehquin Warrick, Martin and Smallwood placed fourth with a time of 42.30 seconds.
- The Rams also finished in fourth place in the 4x400-meter relay. The team of Warrick, senior Dominic Costanzo, Sipple, and sophomore George Moore ran a time of 3:15.54.
- Freshman Xavier Waller placed 10th in the high jump with a season-best leap of 1.95-meters. The mark was .04-meters off of his personal record.
- Senior Frank Afriyie finished second in the discus throw with a score of 49.91-meters. Sophomore Ryan Coles placed fourth with a personal-best throw of 48.09-meters.
- In the javelin throw senior Kenneth Wooten finished sixth with a personal record throw of 54.30-meters.
"I was impressed with how well we competed today. We are seeing improvements from the sprints, jumps, throws and distance athletes. I am very excited to see where we will be in the weeks to come. We are off to a good start."
- Head Coach Jon Riley
The Rams travel to the Sunshine State next weekend for the Florida Relays from April 4-6.