MEET: The Virginia Cup (Charlottesville, Va. – Lannigan Field)
THE BASICS: The VCU Men's Track and Field team competed against the other Division I track and field programs from the state in the Virginia Cup in Charlottesville, Va. on Saturday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Freshman Desmond Smallwood finished fourth in the 100-meter dash with a time of 11.15 seconds.
- In the 200-meters, senior Tyler Jackson placed in sixth with a time of 22.51 seconds, just ahead of Smallwood, who was in seventh with a time of 22.59 seconds.
- Sophomore Tehquin Warrick (49.05 seconds) led three Rams with a second place finish in the 400-meter. Sophomore George Moore (50.14 seconds) placed fifth and senior Dominic Costanzo (50.41 seconds) finished seventh.
- In the 800-meters, VCU had three finishers in the top seven. Sophomore Khalid Khamis placed second with a time of 1:53.81. Classmate Anthony Green (1:57.80) placed fifth, two seconds ahead of junior Justin Kendall (1:59.34) in sixth.
- Sophomore Mohamed Adam placed fourth with a personal record time of 3:59.83 in the 1500-meters.
- VCU finished second through fourth in the 110-meter hurdles. Junior Chase Turner finished second with a time of 15.21 seconds. Freshman Kyle Martin (15.45 seconds) and Xavier Waller (15.46 seconds) placed third and fourth, respectively.
- Turner also placed third in the 400-meter hurdles with a time of 57.31 seconds. Sophomore Aaron Canady placed seventh with a time of 58.97 seconds.
- Sophomore Sam Hush won the 3000-meter steeple chase with a time of 9:30.88. Classmate Matt Earman was in third with a time of 10:03.10.
- The VCU 4x400-meter relay team of Moore, Costanzo, junior Kyle Sipple and Smallwood won the event with a time of 3:17.90.
- In the men's high jump, Waller placed fifth with a leap of 1.90 meters. He finished just ahead of sophomore Evan Morton, who was in sixth with a jump of 1.80 meters.
- Sophomore Anthony Hurd finished sixth in the long jump with 6.18-meter jump.
- In the triple jump, freshman Delvin Woodruff finished third with a jump of 13.60-meters. Sophomore Christopher Smith finished fifth with a leap of 12.70-meters.
- Sophomore Brandon Ruffin finished fourth with a 15.16-meter throw in the shot put.
- Senior Frank Afriyie won the discus toss with a throw of 50.13-meters. Sophomore Ryan Coles set a personal record of 47.29-meters and placed second. Ruffin was in fourth with a 43.59-meter throw.
- In the hammer throw, Afriyie finished third with a throw of 47.84-meters. Ruffin set a personal record with a 47.73-meter throw to place fourth. Coles finished sixth with a throw of 46.45-meters.
- Senior Kenneth Wooten finished second with a personal-best 52.89-meter throw in the javelin throw. Sophomore Darlington Tawiah finished third with a throw of 47.48-meter.
"We had a solid weekend across the board from both men's and women's team. Times and distances were not great, but I was pleased with the effort we put forward this week in practice and this weekend."
The Track and Field team will divide next weekend and head to the Raleigh Relays (Raleigh, N.C.) and Fred Hardy Invitational (Richmond, Va.) on March 29-30.