VCU Opens Outdoor Season With Ram Invite
MEET: Ram Invite (Richmond, Va. – Sports Backers Stadium)
THE BASICS: The VCU Men's Track team opened the outdoor season with its annual home meet the Ram Invite on Saturday at Sports Backers Stadium.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Senior Tyler Jackson finished seventh in the 100-meter dash with a time of 11.13 seconds.
- The Rams had three top 10 finishers in the 200-meter dash. Sophomore Tehquin Warrick (22.40 seconds) finished fourth, freshman Desmond Smallwood (22.47 seconds) placed sixth and sophomore George Moore (22.65 seconds) placed seventh.
- Senior Dominic Costanzo placed fifth in the 400-meter dash with a time of 50.18 seconds.
- In the 800-meter race, sophomore Khalid Khamis placed third with a run of 1:56.54.
- Sophomore Mohamed Adam (4:02.95) finished the 1500-meter race in seventh place.
- The Black and Gold had two top 10 finishers in the 110-meter hurdles. Freshman Kyle Martin placed third with a time of 14.71 seconds and junior Chase Turner finished sixth with a time 14.89 seconds.
- Martin also paced the Rams in the 400-meter hurdles. He finished third with a time of 55.33 seconds.
- In the steeplechase, sophomore Sam Hush placed second with a time of 10:03.70, while classmate Matthew Earman finished third with a time of 10:06.37.
- VCU-A finished second in the 4x100-meter relay with a time of 42.12 seconds.
- In the men's pole vault, junior Matt Hatheway placed sixth. His best vault of the day was 4.05-meters.
- Junior Andrew Shipp placed seventh in the long jump, with a 6.18-meter jump.
- Senior Luke Thomason placed second in the discus throw with a toss of 40.12-meters.
- The Rams placed three in the top 10 in the men's hammer throw. Senior Frank Afriyie placed second with a throw of 48.77-meters, while sophomores Brandon Ruffin (47.73-meters) and Ryan Coles (47.48) finished fourth and fifth respectively.
- VCU honored its eight men's seniors, Frank Afriyie, Josh Bostick, Dominic Costanzo, Alex Hinton, Brenden Leavitt, Tyler Jackson, Luke Thomason and Kenneth 'Niko' Wooten (pictured right).
VCU returns to action Saturday, March 23 at the Virginia Invitational in Charlottesville, Va.