MEET: ECAC/IC4A Championships (Boston, Mass.)
THE BASICS: The VCU Track and Field program concluded their indoor season with the ECAC/IC4A Championship in Boston, Mass. this weekend.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Sophomore George Moore broke the school record with a 1:03.65 and placed seventh in the 500-meter race. Moore also broke the school record in the prelims (1:03.75) to advance to the finals.
- In the men's shot put, sophomore Brandon Ruffin placed 17th with a throw of 15.17-meters.
- Ruffin finished ninth in the weight throw. His best throw of the day was 17.87-meters. Ruffin became the first male VCU thrower to make a final at the IC4A Indoor Championships.
- Senior Frank Afriyie placed 20th in the weight throw 16.74-meters.
- On the women's side, sophomore Kiara Porter advanced to the finals in the 400-meter dash. She placed seventh with a time of 54.46 seconds.
- Junior Jaleesa Williams later finished eighth in the weight throw with a throw of 17.49-meters. She became the first female VCU thrower to make a final at the ECAC Indoor Championships.
- Jaleesa (13.31-meters) and her sister Jessica Williams (12.77-meters) placed 15th and19th, respectively in the shot put.
"Our indoor season came to an end today. The athletes fought hard but came up short. We are proud, but never satisfied because there is always room for improvement. George Moore capped the weekend off with a solid performance in 500-meter finals when he set the school record."
- VCU Track and Field Coach Jon Riley
The Rams return open the spring season with the Ram Invite at Sports Backers Stadium. The meet is March 16.