Score: VCU 7, Richmond 0
Location: Richmond, Va. (Thalhimer Tennis Center)
Records: VCU 4-0, Richmond 0-1
The short story: VCU Men's Tennis keeps its perfect start to the season going, sweeping crosstown rival Richmond in VCU's first conference match of the season.
- The combination of sophomore Rayane Stable and junior Javier Amantegui earned VCU's first doubles victory of the day, defeating Richmond's Josh Keitelman and Matt Fernandez.
- Senior Philip Mobius and junior Inaki Rivero Crespo joined forces in No. 3 doubles, defeating Joe Nardini and Klein Evans of Richmond 7-6 (3) to earn VCU's first point of the match.
- Stable and freshman Stefan Petrovic continue to impress in their first season with the Rams, both receiving victories in the No. 1 and No. 2 singles matches, respectively.
- Senior Arvid Noren defeated Evans in two sets, keeping his undefeated streak in singles play alive.
- Crespo defeated Richmond's George Lovitt in the No. 6 singles match in two sets.
VCU 7, Richmond 0
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3
1- Stefan Petrovic (VCU) def. Brice Polender (UR) 6-2, 6-1
2- Rayane Stable (VCU) def. Matt Fernandez (UR) 4-6, 6-3, 10-5
3- Arvid Noren (VCU) def. Klein Evans (UR) 6-2, 6-1
4- Inigo Torre Martin (VCU) def. John Walsh (UR) 7-5, 6-1
5- Javier Amantegui (VCU) def. Joe Nardini (UR) 6-1, 6-2
6- Inaki Rivero Crespo (VCU) def. George Lovitt (UR) 6-2, 6-4
Order of finish: 1, 3, 4, 2, 5, 6
HEAD COACH ANTHONY ROSSI
"We expected a tough match today and our guys responded extremely well. The doubles point was really close but we were able to stay calm on key points. Overall, I'm happy with this performance and we're looking forward to this upcoming weekend."
"I think Richmond came out strong in the doubles matches but we managed to get the point which is always important. I felt very good in singles play and didn't let my opponent get into the match. All of the other guys also did a great job securing each singles spot. Good 7-0 win today and a good way to start in Atlantic 10 play."
VCU is set to travel to Columbus, Ohio to compete in the ITA Kick-Off Tournament beginning on Jan. 26. The Rams will face off against No. 2 ranked Ohio State.