Score: VCU 6, Drexel 0 | VCU 4, Campbell 1
Location: Richmond, Va. (Thalhimer Tennis Center)
Records: VCU 2-0, Drexel 0-2, Campbell 1-1
The short story: The Rams swept the doubleheader against Drexel and Campbell to kick off the 2019 spring season.
- The combination of senior Philip Mobius and sophomore Inigo Torre Martin defeated Drexel's Xandy Hammitt and Sanil Jagtiani in No. 2 doubles to win VCU the doubles point.
- Junior Javier Amantegui scored the first singles point for VCU after cruising by Gustav Wogen of Drexel by a score of 6-1, 6-2.
- Freshman Stefan Petrovic performed well in his first career match for VCU and extended the Rams lead to 3-0 after defeating Alvaro Chamorro of Drexel in the No. 1 singles.
- Mobius and Inaki Crespo joined forces in the No. 3 doubles match to score the first point for VCU by sweeping Campbell's Gerard Sola and Louis Monterosso by a score of 6-0.
- Senior Arvid Noren came back strong against Campbell's Raphael Calzi in three sets to win VCU the match after losing the first set with a score of 2-6, winning the last two sets with a score of 6-1 each.
VCU 6, Drexel 0
Order of finish: Doubles - 1, 3, 2
1- Stefan Petrovic (VCU) def. Alvaro Cruz Chamorro (DU) 6-3, 7-5
2- Arvid Noren (VCU) def. Sinan Orhon (DU) 6-2, 6-4
3- Inigo Torre Martin (VCU) def. Sanil Jagtiani (DU) 7-5, 7-5
4- Javier Amantegui (VCU) def. Gustav Wogen (DU) 6-1, 6-2
5- Inaki Rivero Crespo (VCU) def. Xandy Hammitt (DU) 6-4, 6-2
6- Timo Zgraggen (VCU) vs. Youssef Lahou (DU) 6-5 DNF
Order of finish: 4, 1, 5, 2, 3
VCU 4 Campbell 1
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1
1- Dustin Werner (CU) def. Stefan Petrovic (VCU) 7-5, 6-4
2- Arvid Noren (VCU) def. Raphael Calzi (CU) 2-6, 6-1, 6-1
3- Philip Mobius (VCU) vs. Bastien Huon (CU) 6-3, 4-6, 3-2 DNF
4- Inigo Torre Martin (VCU) def. Gerard Sola (CU) 6-4, 6-0
5- Javier Amantegui (VCU) def. Aaron Cabo (CU) 6-1, 6-3
6- Inaki Rivero Crespo (VCU) vs. Ted Williams (CU) 2-4 DNF
Order of finish: 4, 5, 1, 2
HEAD COACH ANTHONY ROSSI
"The guys started well today. We hadn't played matches in a while and it was positive seeing them compete and get better match after match. It wasn't our best tennis but definitely a step forward."
VCU will remain at home to face off against Georgetown on Sunday, Jan. 20 at 2 p.m. at the Thalhimer Tennis Center.