Atlantic 10 Conference Quarterfinals
Score: #1 VCU 4, #9 Saint Joseph's 0
Location: Orlando, Fla. (USTA National Campus)
Records: VCU 14-9, Saint Joseph's 8-14
The short story: VCU's depth shined Friday, as the top-seeded Rams made quick work of Saint Joseph's Friday in the Atlantic 10 Conference Championship Quarterfinals in Orlando, Fla.
- VCU swept the 4, 5 and 6 singles courts in straight sets on the way to the win.
- Freshman Inigo Torre Martin topped Dan Tan 6-2, 6-2 on the No. 4 court to improve to 17-6 overall and 14-4 this spring.
- Freshman Timo Zgraggen stopped Luis Janko 6-0, 6-3 at No. 6.
- Sophomore Ignacio Rivero Crespo and Torre Martin also picked up doubles wins for the Rams Friday.
VCU advances to the A-10 Semifinals Saturday at 10 a.m. against fifth-seeded Richmond. The Rams and Spiders have not met this spring, but VCU topped Richmond 4-3 in last season's A-10 Championship Match.
#1 VCU def. #9 SAINT JOSEPH'S, 4-0
1. Arvid Noren (VCU) vs. Tim Stierle, 6-3, 2-3, DNF
2. Vitor Lima (VCU) vs. Andre Fick, 6-2, 2-4, DNF
3. Philip Mobius (VCU) vs. Peter DeWitt, 4-6, 0-2, DNF
4. Inigo Torre Martin (VCU) def. Dan Tan, 6-2, 6-2
5. Ignacio Rivero Crespo (VCU) def. John Massart, 6-1, 6-2
6. Timo Zgraggen (VCU) def. Luis Janko, 6-0, 6-3
Order of Finish: 5, 4, 6
1. Vitor Lima/Javier Amantegui (VCU) vs. Tim Stierle/Andre Fick, 3-4, DNF
2. Inigo Torre Martin/Arvid Noren (VCU) def. Peter DeWitt/Dan Tan, 6-1
3. Philip Mobius/Ignacio Rivero Crespo (VCU) def. John Massart/Scott Battaglia, 6-2
Order of Finish: 2, 3