Score: Middle Tennessee State 4, VCU 3
Date: April 7, 2018
Location: Murfreesboro, Tenn. (Adams Tennis Complex)
Records: VCU 11-8, Middle Tennessee State 18-4
The short story: VCU dropped a tightly-contested match to Middle Tennessee State, with the 4-3 decision coming down to the third set of the last singles match.
- Despite opening the day with a loss at No. 2 doubles, VCU won the doubles points with 6-4 wins on the other two courts. Junior Philip Mobius and freshman Timo Zgraggen beat Jan Porteset and Max Rauch at No. 3, and sophomore Javier Amantegui and junior Vitor Lima beat Tom Moonen and Chris Edge at No. 1.
- Lima made quick work of Moonen at No. 2 singles to regain VCU's 2-1 lead, winning in straight sets 6-1, 6-3. The victory was Lima's 10th of the year.
- Junior Arvid Noren improved to 2-1 when playing at the No. 1 singles position this season, beating Gonzalo Morell in three sets to tie the match at 3-3.
- Mobius split the first two sets, both ending in tiebreaks, with Chris Edge at No. 3 singles but fell 6-3 in the final set as Edge clinched the match for the Blue Raiders.
Order of finish: 2,3,1
1. Arvid Noren (VCU) def. Gonzalo Morell R. (MT) 6-3, 3-6, 7-5
2. Vitor Lima (VCU) def. Tom Moonen (MT) 6-1, 6-3
3. Chris Edge (MT) def. Philip Mobius (VCU) 6-7 (5-7), 7-6 (7-5), 6-3
4. Miguel Negre F. (MT) def. Javier Amantegui (VCU) 6-4, 6-3
5. Gian Issa (MT) def. Inigo Torre Martin (VCU) 6-2, 6-0
6. Luis Morillo Diaz (MT) def. Timo Zgraggen (VCU) 6-4, 6-3
Order of finish: 5,2,4,6,1,3
The Rams return to Richmond to host William & Mary at the Thalhimer Tennis Center on Wednesday, April 11 at 3 p.m.