Score: VCU 4, Dayton 3
Location: Richmond, Va. (Thalhimer Tennis Center)
Date: Jan. 26, 2018
Records: VCU 4-0, Dayton 2-1
The short story: Freshman Inigo Torre Martin's win at No. 6 singles completed a dramatic comeback win for VCU men's tennis over Dayton, who at one point led the match 3-0.
- The Flyers took a tightly-contested doubles point with wins on courts 1 and 3. Sophomore Javier Amantegui and junior Arvid Noren earned a win for the Rams on court 2, but juniors Vitor Lima and Philip Mobius could not overcome Zach Berry and Carsten Fisher in the tiebreak on court 1.
- Dayton extended their lead to 3-0 with straight-set wins at No. 1 and No. 2 singles.
- Noren and Mobius pulled the Rams to within 3-2, winning in three sets at No. 3 and No. 4 singles, respectively. Noren got off to a hot start, winning the first set 6-1. After dropping the second set, he earned a crucial break point and won the third set 6-4. Mobius fell in the first set 2-6, but won 12 of the last 18 games to take the match.
- Freshman Timo Zgraggen tied the match at 3-3 with a dominant 6-2, 6-3 win over Lorenzo Rolhauser at No. 5 singles.
- After winning the first set in a tiebreak, Torre Martin won a huge break point on deuce to go up 4-3 in the second set. He clinched the match for VCU with a 7-6, 6-4 victory over Steven Karl
1- Zach Berry/Carsten Fisher (UD) def. Vitor Lima/Philip Mobius (VCU) 7-6(5)
2- Javier Amantegui/Arvid Noren (VCU) def. Jordan Benjamin/Theodor Jener (UD) 7-6(4)
3- Steven Karl/Lorenzo Rollhauser (UD) def. Inigo Torre Martin/Timo Zgraggen (VCU) 6-3
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1
1- Jordan Benjamin (UD) def. Javier Amantegui (VCU) 6-1, 7-5
2- Carsten Fisher (UD) def. Vitor Lima (VCU) 6-0, 6-4
3- Arvid Noren (VCU) def. Zach Berry (UD) 6-1, 5-7, 6-4
4- Philip Mobius (VCU) def. Theodor Jener (UD) 2-6, 6-4, 6-2
5- Timo Zgraggen (VCU) def. Lorenzo Rollhauser (UD) 6-2, 6-3
6- Inigo Torre Martin (VCU) def. Steven Karl (UD) 7-6(5), 6-4
Order of finish: 2, 1, 4, 3, 5, 6
The Rams continue their home stand at Thalhimer Tennis Center on Sunday, Jan. 28 with a 1 p.m. match against Penn.