Scores: VCU 0, #9 North Carolina 4
Location: Chapel Hill, N.C. (Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center)
Records: VCU 14-12, North Carolina 25-4
The short story: The Rams faced an uphill battle and fell 4-0 to North Carolina, ranked ninth nationally, on Friday afternoon at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center in Chapel Hill, N.C. Of the eight matches that took place, The Black and Gold faced five nationally ranked opponents. Senior Marten Jonsson went head-to-head with William Blumberg, ranked 16th by the ITA on the second court, but the match was unfinished.
- The Tar Heels took the doubles point to jump to an early 1-0 advantage over VCU. Senior Daryl Monfils and Jonsson fell to William Blumberg and Robert Kelly, ranked 12th by the ITA in doubles play. The duo finished the season with an overall record of 14-8 on the doubles court.
- Sophomore Vitor Lima and Arvid Noren also faced ranked doubles opponents. The pair fell to Jack Murray and Simon Soendergaard, ranked 82nd by the ITA.
- North Carolina took a 2-0 lead with a win on the fifth court. Freshman Ignacio Rivero Crespo fell in consecutive sets to Jack Murray. Rivero Crespo finished the season with a 10-9 record.
- The Tar Heels then won on the first and third courts to finalize the match at 4-0 and advance to the second round.
- Monfils faced Ronnie Schneider, ranked 22nd by the ITA on the first court. Monfils finished his final campaign with an overall record of 14-13.
- Noren ended the year with the second most wins with 19.
- Freshman Javier Amantegui was unable to finish his match on the sixth court, but ended his rookie campaign with a team-best record of 20-12.
1- #12 William Blumberg/Robert Kelly (NC) def. Daryl Monfils/Marten Jonsson, 6-2
2- #82 Jack Murray/Simon Soendergaard (NC) def. Vitor Lima/Arvid Noren, 6-2
3- Ronnie Schneider/Anu Kodola (NC) vs. Javier Amantegui/Louis Ishizaka, 4-3, unfinished
1- #22 Ronnie Schneider (NC) def. Daryl Monfils, 6-3, 6-3
2- #16 William Blumberg (NC) vs. Marten Jonsson, 6-4, 5-2, unfinished
3- #116 Robert Kelly (NC) def. Arvid Noren, 7-6 (7-5), 6-1
4- Simon Soendergaard (NC) vs. Vitor Lima, 6-4, 5-2, unfinished
5- Jack Murray (NC) def. Ignacio Rivero Crespo, 6-1, 6-1
6- Blaine Boyden (NC) vs. Javier Amantegui, 6-2, 3-6, unfinished