Scores: VCU 3, Middle Tennessee 4
Location: Richmond, Va. (Raintree Swim & Racquet Club)
Records: VCU 10-10, Middle Tennessee 10-12
The short story: VCU fell to Middle Tennessee in a competitive back and forth affair Friday afternoon. Due to high winds, the match was moved indoors to the Raintree Swim & Racquet Club in Richmond, Va. The Rams jumped to an early 1-0 lead after securing the doubles point, but would ultimately fall to the Blue Raiders 4-3, after two lead changes. Sophomores Vitor Lima and Arvid Noren won in both singles and doubles play.
- Noren and Lima tallied the first win in doubles play by defeating Nicolas Buitrago and Max Rauch, 6-4. The pair is now 3-3 overall on the doubles court this season.
- Sophomore Philip Mobius and Javier Amantegui lifted the Rams to a 1-0 lead by securing the doubles point.
- Middle Tennessee tied the match at 1-1 with a victory on the first court, but VCU would quickly regain the lead when Noren defeated Miguel Negre in consecutive sets on the third court. Noren is now 13-3 in dual matches this spring.
- Lima gave the Rams a two-point lead by defeating Luis Morillo, 4-6, 6-4, 6-2.
- The Blue Raiders responded with three consecutive wins to end the match with a 4-3 victory.
1- Daryl Monfils/Marten Jonsson (VCU) vs. Tom Moonen/Gonzalo Morell (MT), 6-6, DNF
2- Arvid Noren/Vitor Lima (VCU) def. Nicolas Buitrago/Max Rauch, 6-4
3- Philip Mobius/Javier Amantegui (VCU) def. Gian Issa/Miguel Negre, 7-6 (5)
Order of finish: 2, 3
1- Tom Moonen (MT) def. Daryl Monfils, 6-4, 6-3
2- Gonzalo Morell (MT) def. Marten Jonsson, (1)6-7, 6-0, 7-5
3- Arvid Noren (VCU) def. Miguel Negre, 7-6(5), 6-4
4- Vitor Lima (VCU) def. Luis Morillo, 4-6, 6-4, 6-2
5- Gian Issa (MT) def. Ignacio Rivero Crespo, 6-1, 6-2
6- Max Rauch (MT) def. Javier Amantegui, 6-2, 4-6, 7-5
Order of finish: 1, 3, 4, 2, 5, 6
The Rams will compete in their final home match of the season on Sunday, April 9 at 1 p.m. They will host the Hokies of Virginia Tech at the Thalhimer Tennis Center.