Scores: VCU 6, Davidson 1
Location: Richmond, Va. (Thalhimer Tennis Center)
Records: VCU 8-5, Davidson 9-3
The short story: The Rams rolled past the Davidson Wildcats to a 6–1 victory Sunday afternoon at the Thalhimer Tennis Center. The Black and Gold dominated on the doubles court to jump to an early 1-0 lead. Of the five players who won on the singles court, four defeated their opponents in consecutive sets, including sophomore Arvid Noren who was perfect in a 6-0, 6-0 win over J.B. Gough.
- Noren and classmate Philip Mobius picked up a win in doubles play. They defeated Shamael Chaudhry and Jack Riazzi, 6-1. The duo is now 2-1 in dual matches on the doubles court.
- Freshman Javier Amantegui and junior Louis Ishizaka secured the doubles point with a 6-2 victory over Artem Khrapko and David Hager.
- Noren put the Rams ahead 2-0 with his singles victory. He now holds a 9-2 dual record thus far.
- Senior Daryl Monfils continued his success on the first court. He downed Shamael Chaudhry, 7-6 (5), 6-1 and holds an overall singles record of 9-5.
- Leading by three points, senior Marten Jonsson put The Black and Gold out of reach at 4-0. He is now 11-6 overall this season on the singles court.
- Freshman Ignacio Rivero Crespo also picked up a singles win. He defeated Davidson's Artem Khrapko, 7-6, 6-1. He is now 5-4 in singles play.
- Ishizaka finished the match strong for the Rams with a three set victory over Thomas Mason. He is 11-7 so far this season.
1- Daryl Monfils/Marten Jonsson (VCU) vs. J.B. Gough/Axel Fries, 4-5 (no result)
2- Arvid Noren/Philip Mobius (VCU) def. Shamael Chaudhry/Jack Riazzi, 6-1
3- Javier Amantegui/Louis Ishizaka (VCU) def. Artem Khrapko/David Hager, 6-2
Order of finish: 2, 3
1- Daryl Monfils (VCU) def. Shamael Chaudhry, 7-6(5), 6-1
2- Marten Jonsson (VCU) def. David Hager, 6-2, 6-3
3- Ignacio Rivero Crespo (VCU) def. Artem Khrapko, 7-6(0), 6-1
4- Arvid Noren (VCU) def. J.B. Gough, 6-0, 6-0
5- Axel Fries (DAV) def. Javier Amantegui, 6-3, 6-3
6- Louis Ishizaka (VCU) def. Thomas Mason, 6-3, 4-6, 10-4
Order of finish: 4, 1, 2, 3, 5, 6
The Rams will host Saint John's on Thursday, March 2 at the Thahimer Tennis Center at 2 p.m.