Scores: VCU 4, Elon 3
Location: Richmond, Va. (Thalhimer Tennis Center)
Records: VCU 6-1, Elon 1-4
The short story: Freshman Javier Amantegui defeated Felipe Osses-Konig to earn the match deciding point in the Rams victory over Elon at the Thalhimer Tennis Center on Saturday afternoon. The rookie is now leads the team with a 13-4 overall record this season.
- Seniors Daryl Monfils and Marten Jonsson picked up another win in doubles play by defeating Elon's Chris Humphreys and Petar Tomic. The pair holds a team best 3-0 dual record in doubles play.
- After trailing 2-0, freshman Ignacio Rivero Crespo downed Petar Tomic in consecutive sets to bring the Rams within one.
- Sophomore Arvid Noren also picked up a point for The Black and Gold. He remains perfect in dual matches this season with a 5-0 record.
- Jonsson tied things up at three a piece by defeating Salvador Mijares. He now sports at 4-1 record on the season.
- Freshman Javier Amantegui was clutch for the Rams late in the match. He defeated Felipe Osses-Koning 6-7, 7-5, 6-0 earn both the final point and a win for VCU. The rookie is now 5-1 in dual matches this year.
1- Felipe Sarrasauge/Mario Paccini (Elon) def. Vitor Lima/Philip Mobius, 6-3
2- Daryl Monfils/Marten Jonsson (VCU) def. Chris Humphreys/Petar Tomic, 7-6(6)
3- Salvador Mijares/Taylor Foote (Elon) def. Javier Amantegui/Arvid Noren, 6-3
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2
1- Felipe Sarrasague (Elon) def. Daryl Monfils, 4-6, 7-6(6), 7-6(6)
2- Mario Paccini (Elon) def. Vitor Lima, 6-1, 6-1
3- Marten Jonsson (VCU) def. Salvador Mijares, 7-6(5),(6)6-7, 7-6(9)
4- Ignacio Rivero Crespo (VCU) def. Petar Tomic, 6-1, 6-1
5- Javier Amantegui (VCU) def. Felipe Osses-Konig, (2)6-7, 7-5, 6-0
6- Arvid Noren (VCU) def. Chris Humphreys, 6-0, 7-5
Order of finish: 2, 4, 1, 6, 3, 5
The Rams are back in action on Feb. 10 when they travel to University Park, Pennsylvania to take on the Nittany Lions of Penn State.