- Score: VCU 4, George Washington 3
- Records: VCU (20-6), George Washington (17-7)
- Location: Queen City Racquet and Fitness Club - Cincinnati, Ohio
- The Short Story: In thrilling fashion, the VCU men's tennis team completed the title sweep for the Rams' tennis programs with a dramatic 4-3 victory over George Washington on Sunday afternoon. After having the match moved inside due to weather, the two teams split the singles action before a heart-stopping set of doubles matches that ended when junior Alexis Heugas and freshman Dylan McCloskey won their #1 doubles match 8-5. The title is the 17th conference championship in Coach Kostin's 23 years at the helm of the men's program. Coach Kostin also became just the fourth coach ever to reach 1,000 career wins.
How It Happened
- It looked like the Rams might ease their way into a championship when Heugas got things started with a 7-6 (3), 6-1 win at #2 singles, followed by two more singles wins from freshman Michal Voscek and senior Jaime Vazquez to put VCU within a point of the title.
- However, George Washington had other plans with a trio of three set victories, including a tough win from Nikita Fomin over Max Wennakoski at #1 singles, 4-6, 7-6 (5), 7-6 (9).
- After splitting singles 3-3, the match headed to doubles where Vazquez and junior Alejandro Argente dominated in an 8-3 win at the third doubles position.
- Heugas and McCloskey would then go to work and bring home the title with a 8-5 win at the top doubles spot.
VCU 4, George Washington 3
1. Nikita Fomin (GW) d. Max Wennakoski (VCU) 4-6, 7-6 (5), 7-6 (9)
2. Alexis Heugas (VCU) d. Francisco Dias (GW) 7-6 (3), 6-1
3. Danil Zelenkov (GW) d. Alejandro Argente (VCU) 3-6, 6-4, 6-1
4. Alexander van Gils (GW) d. Claes Goransson (VCU) 7-6 (5), 6-7 (7), 7-5
5. Michal Voscek (VCU) d. Leonardo Lapenti (GW) 6-3, 6-3
6. Jaime Vazquez (VCU) d. Ulrick Thomsen (GW) 6-3, 6-4
Order of Finish: 2, 5, 6, 3, 1, 4
Heugas/McCloskey (VCU) d. van Gils/Thomsen (GW) 8-5
Wennakoski/Voscek (VCU) vs. Lapentti/Dias 4-7 DNF
Argente/Vazquez (VCU) d. Zelenkov/Viktor Svensson (GW) 8-3
Order of Finish: 3, 1