- Score: VCU 4, Virginia Tech 3
- Records: VCU (16-4), (10-5)
- Location: Thalhimer Tennis Center - Richmond, Va.
- The Short Story: Two of the top 60 teams in the country squared off on a beautiful day in Richmond and it was a battle from the start. In the end, senior Max Wennakoski (pictured, main) battled his way to a tough victory at the top singles spot to secure a 4-3 win over Virginia Tech. It was the Rams' fifth straight win and 10th in the past 11 matches. VCU has now taken down four ACC foes this spring.
How It Happened
- Senior Jaime Vazquez and junior Alejandro Argente (pictured, top right) picked up an 8-5 win at the third doubles spot to start the day, but Virginia Tech's top-20 duo won at the first doubles spot to even things up. Wennakoski and freshman Michal Voscek sealed the doubles point for the Black & Gold with a hard-fought 9-7 win at the second doubles position.
- Virginia Tech would take two of the first three singles matches, but a straight set victory by Argente at #3 singles kept things even at 2-2.
- Junior Alexis Heugas (pictured, bottom right) took down 55th-ranked Amerigo Contini, 7-5, 7-6 (7-2) to bring VCU within just one point of taking home the victory.
- Virginia Tech picked up a win at the sixth singles spot to tie things up, but that's when Wennakoski stayed focus and locked up the win for the Black & Gold with a 5-7, 6-4, 6-1 win at the top singles spot.
#30 VCU 4, #54 Virginia Tech 3
1) #20 Bjerrehus/Contini (VT) def. #24 Heugas/McCloskey (VCU), 8-6
2) Wennakoski/Voscek (VCU) def. Koontz/Oliveira (VT), 9-7
3) #58 Argente/Vazquez (VCU) def. Kujundzic/Lovrinovic (VT), 8-5
1) #23 Max Wennakoski (VCU) def. #81 Andreas Bjerrehus (VT), 5-7, 6-4, 6-1
2) #74 Alexis Heugas (VCU) def. #55 Amerigo Contini (VT), 7-5, 7-6 (7-2)
3) Alejandro Argente (VCU) def. Lucas Oliveira (VT), 6-2, 6-3
4) Hunter Koontz (VT) def. Claes Goransson (VCU), 6-0, 6-3
5) Trpimir Kujundzic (VT) def. Michal Voscek (VCU), 6-2, 6-3
6) Joao Monteiro (VT) def. Jaime Vazquez (VCU), 2-6, 6-4, 7-5
Order of finish: 4,3,5,2,6,1