RAMS UPSET 24TH-RANKED WAKE FOREST, 4-2
- Score: VCU 4, #24 Wake Forest 2
- Records: VCU (13-4), Wake Forest (11-4)
- Location: Thalhimer Tennis Center - Richmond, Va.
- The Short Story: After some inclement weather delayed the start of the match, VCU fought its way to its sixth win in the past seven matches, dropping 24th-ranked Wake Forest, 4-2. Junior Alexis Heugas set the tone for the Black & Gold, taking down 56th-ranked Amogh Prabhakar, 6-4, 6-4 to give the Rams a lead that they never relinquished. Senior Max Wennakoski, junior Alejandro Argente and sophomore Claes Goransson also added singles victories on the afternoon.
How It Happened
- After some rain earlier in the day push the start time back, the teams started with singles matches and it didn't take long for Argente to cruise to a 6-1, 6-2 win over Jon Ho at the fifth singles spot.
- Heugas followed by taking down the highly-touted Prabhakar to push VCU's lead to 2-0, but the Demon Deacons bounced back with back-to-back wins to even the score at 2-2.
- Goransson gave the Black & Gold a clutch effort at the third spot, battling to a three-set victory over Danny Kreyman, 4-6, 6-3, 7-5 to reclaim the lead in VCU's favor.
- Wennakoski made sure that the teams wouldn't have to settle it in doubles as he took down Wake's David Hopkins in three sets, 6-4, 3-6, 6-3 to secure the upset victory.
VCU 4, #24 Wake Forest 2
1) #21 Max Wennakoski (VCU) def. David Hopkins (WFU), 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
2) #72 Alexis Heugas (VCU) def. #56 Amogh Prabhakar (WFU), 6-4, 6-4
3) Claes Goransson (VCU) def. Danny Kreyman (WFU), 4-6, 6-3, 7-5
4) Adam Lee (WFU) def. Michal Voscek (VCU), 7-6 (7-5), 6-1
5) Alejandro Argente (VCU) def. Jon Ho (WFU), 6-1, 6-2
6) Morgan Mays (WFU) def. Jaime Vazquez (VCU), 6-3, 6-4
Order of finish: 5,2,4,6,3,1
No doubles matches due to weather delay
- The Rams return to the court on Saturday afternoon when the take on Penn. First serve at the Thalhimer Tennis Center is set for 12 p.m