- Score: VCU 6, Penn State 1
- Records: VCU (9-3), Penn State (4-6)
- Location: Thalhimer Tennis Center - Richmond, Va.
- The Short Story: Juniors Alexis Heugas (pictured, main) and Alejandro Argente (pictured, bottom right), in addition to freshman Dylan McCloskey (pictured, bottom right), all picked up singles and doubles victories on Saturday afternoon to lead VCU to its third straight win, a decisive 6-1 victory over Penn State.
How It Happened
- Heugas and McCloskey got the day started with a quick 8-2 win at the top doubles spot. Argente and senior Jaime Vazquez followed close behind with a 8-3 victory at the third doubles spot to lock up the point for VCU.
- Heugas kept the momentum with the Black & Gold, taking down Tomas Hanzlik in the second spot in VCU's singles lineup, 6-0, 6-3.
- Max Wennakoski, who entered the weekend as the 14th-ranked player in the country, continued his strong play with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Bryan Welnetz at the top singles position.
- Reigning A-10 Rookie of the Week Michal Voscek secured the victory for VCU with a 6-2, 6-3 win over Chris Young at #4 singles.
- Argente and McCloskey followed close behind with singles victories of their own to round out the 6-1 win for the Black & Gold.
VCU 6, Penn State 1
1) Heugas/McCloskey (VCU) def. Bader/Chen (PSU), 8-2
2) Wennakoski/Voscek (VCU) vs. Welnetz/Griffin (PSU), 6-3 DNF
3) Argente/Vazquez (VCU) def. Trkulja/Barry (PSU), 8-3
1) Max Wennakoski (VCU) def. Bryan Welnetz (PSU), 6-3, 6-2
2) Alexis Heugas (VCU) def. Tomas Hanzlik (PSU), 6-0, 6-3
3) Alejandro Argente (VCU) def. Russell Bader (PSU), 1-6, 6-2, 6-3
4) Michal Voscek (VCU) def. Chris Young (PSU), 6-2, 6-3
5) Dylan McCloskey (VCU) def. Roman Trkulja (PSU), 7-6, 6-1
6) Matt Barry (PSU) def. Jaime Vazquez (VCU), 7-6, 7-6
- VCU returns to action right away, hosting 48th-ranked South Carolina on Sunday afternoon. First serve at Thalhimer Tennis Center is set for 1 p.m.