Rams Open Fall Season with Strong Showing at Landfall Invitational
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The VCU men's tennis team started off the fall season with a strong weekend at the Landfall Invitational in Wilmington, N.C.
- The second-seeded doubles team of Jamie Vasquez and Alejandro Argente swept through their competition over the weekend on the way to the doubles championship. The duo cruised to an 8-1 victory over Old Dominion's doubles team of Albert Ochagavia and Zvonimor Podvinski . Vasquez and Argente then played a pair of 8-6 matches against the two UNCW teams on the way to claiming the title.
- On the singles side, Vasquez won a pair of matches on the way to the semifinals. The La Coruna, Spain native lost in the semis to top-seeded Rafel Aita of UNCW.
- Argente also won a pair of matches on his way into the semifinals.
- After dropping his first match, Michael Voscek, rebounded to win two straight victories in advance to the consolation championship match. Voscek beat Christian Lee from Arkansas and Damien Brenard from East Carolina, before fall in to Nicolas Soriano from ECU in the consolation final.
W, Alex Calott, CHA (6-4, 6-3)
W, Carlos Lopez-Villa, ODU (6-3, 5-7, 6-3)
L, Rafel Aita, UNCW (6-3, 6-2)
W, Albert Ochagavia, ODU (6-3, 6-2)
W, Moll, UNCW (6-2, 6-3)
L, Cooprider UNCW (6-1, 6-2)
L, Jack Williams, CHA (6-4, 6-4)
W, Christian Lee, Arkansas (6-3, 6-3)
W, Damien Brenard, ECU (6-4, 7-5)
L, Nicolas Soriano, ECU (6-3, 6-2)
W, Ochagavia/Zvonimor Podvinski, ODU (8-1)
W, Mol/Reilly, UNCW (8-6)
W, Kosta Blank/Chris Cooprider, UNCW (8-6)
The Rams will head back to North Carolina over the weekend of Sept. 14-16 for the Duke Fab 4 Tournament.