RAMS TAKE DOWN ST. JOHN’S, 6-1, TO CLOSE OUT REGULAR SEASON WITH SEVENTH STRAIGHT WIN
RICHMOND, Va. – There's an old saying that goes, "it's not how you start, it's how you finish."
If that's true, the VCU men's tennis team is in good shape heading into the postseason as the Rams closed out their regular season with a dominating 6-1 win over St. John's.
The win was the Black & Gold's seventh straight as VCU finished with a 19-4 ledger and is the top seed in next weekend's CAA Tournament.
St. John's started with momentum on their side with a sweep of the doubles matches to take an early 1-0 lead.
That's when the Rams took over. Sophomore Alexis Heugas mauled Vasko Mladenov at the top singles spot, 6-2, 6-1 and junior Max Wennakoski wasn't far behind with a straight set win of his own at the second spot in the VCU lineup.
Junior Jaime Vazquez continued his red-hot play with his seventh consecutive straight set victory, this time it was a 6-2, 6-2 win over Mike Lampa.
The Rams will now take the week to prepare for the upcoming CAA Championships, which begin play on Thursday. Because of VCU's top seed, they will have a first-round bye and start their quest for another conference title on Friday.
VCU 6, St. John's 1
1) Vasko Mladenov/Milo Hauk (SJU) def. Alexis Heugas/Antoine Baroz, 8-4
2) Stefan Bojic/Iljia Vucic (SJU) def. Max Wennakoski/Filip Svensson, 8-3
3) Valentin Mihai/Matty Najfeld (SJU) def. Alejandro Argente/Jaime Vazquez, 8-5
1) Heugas (VCU) def. Mladenov, 6-2, 6-1
2) Wennakoski (VCU) def. Hauk, 6-2, 6-4
3) Svensson (VCU) def. Vucic, 6-4, 6-3
4) Baroz (VCU) def. Bojic, 3-6, 6-2, 4-0, ret.
5) Argente (VCU) def. Anbarci, 7-5, 6-4
6) Vazquez (VCU) def. Lampa, 6-2, 6-2