RAMS PICK UP FIFTH STRAIGHT VICTORY WITH 4-3 DEFEAT OF VIRGINIA TECH
BLACKSBURG, Va. – The weather has really started to warm up consistently over the past few weeks in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Following the trend set by the weather, the VCU men's tennis team has been heating up as well and it continued on Tuesday afternoon when the Rams traveled to Blacksburg and took down in-state rival, Virginia Tech, 4-3, for their fifth straight victory. The Black & Gold are now 17-4 on the season and are once again in the hunt for the NCAA Tournament.
Sophomore Antoine Baroz kept momentum on the Black & Gold's side with a decisive 6-3, 6-3 win at the fifth singles spot over Mauricio Antun. Junior Jaime Vazquez brought VCU within one point of the victory with a hard-fought 7-6 (2), 6-3 win at the sixth spot.
Wennakoski stepped up and secured the Rams' fifth consecutive win with a 7-5, 6-3 victory at the second doubles spot.
The Rams will now head home for the final two matches of the regular season, beginning with a 3 p.m. showdown with William & Mary on April 11th.
VCU 4, Virginia Tech 3
1) Alexis Heugas/Antoine Baroz (VCU) def. Luka Somen/Corrado Degl' Incerti Tocci (VT), 8-5
2) Max Wennakoski/Filip Svensson (VCU) def. Patrick Daciek/Lucas Oliveira (VT), 8-5
3) Trpimir Kujundzic/Hunter Koontz (VT) def. Alejandro Argente/Jaime Vazquez (VCU), 8-4
1) Somen def. Alexis Heugas (VCU), 6-5, 5-7, 7-6 (5)
2) Max Wennakoski (VCU) def. Oliveira, 7-5, 6-3
3) Daciek def. Filip Svensson (VCU), 6-2, 6-3
4) Tocci def. Alejandro Argente (VCU), 6-4, 4-6, 6-2
5) Antoine Baroz (VCU) def. Mauricio Antun, 6-3, 6-3
6) Jaime Vazquez (VCU) def. Kujundzic, 7-6 (2), 6-3