RAMS POWER PAST JMU, 7-0, FOR FOURTH STRAIGHT WIN
RICHMOND, Va. – With less than three weeks left before the CAA Championships, the VCU men's tennis team seems locked in on the task at hand.
Winners of three straight entering Sunday's match against in-state and conference rival, JMU, the Rams dominated from the start en route to a 7-0 win to improve to 16-4 on the season.
The sophomore tandem of Alexis Heugas and Antoine Baroz got VCU off on the right track at the first doubles position with an easy 8-5 win. The rest of the Black & Gold double tandems followed suit to give the Rams a 1-0 cushion.
Junior Max Wennakoski got things started on the singles courts with a 6-2, 6-3 win at second singles. Sophomore Alejandro Argente wasn't far behind with a 6-1, 6-2 win at the fourth position, while senior Filip Svensson handled his business at the third singles, 6-2, 6-3.
All six singles victories for the Black & Gold were in straight set fashion as VCU has lost just three singles contests during their current four-match winning streak.
The Rams don't have much time off as they head west for a Tuesday afternoon showdown with in-state rival Virginia Tech. First serve is set for 2 p.m.
VCU 7, James Madison 0
1) Alexis Heugas/Antoine Baroz d. Moulin/Vladamirsky, 8-5
2) Max Wennakoski/Filip Svensson (VCU) d. Pool/Sentenac, 8-5
3) Alejandro Argente/Jaime Vazquez (VCU) d. Nissenen/Ramadier, 8-7 (4)
1) Heugas d. Vladamirsky, 7-5, 6-4
2) Wennakoski d. Pool, 6-2, 6-3
3) Svensson d. Ramadier, 6-2, 6-3
4) Argente d. Sentenac, 6-1, 6-2
5) Baroz d. Moulin, 7-5, 6-3
6) Vazquez d. Nissinen, 6-1, 6-3