RAMS PICK UP 15TH WIN OF THE YEAR IN 4-1 DEFEAT OF CORNELL
RICHMOND, Va. – When it rains, it pours, and poured it has in Richmond this weekend. But a break in the gray weather gave VCU enough of an opening to pick up a 4-1 victory over Cornell University, their third straight and 15th overall this season.
Unable to play the doubles matches because of weather, men's tennis moved straight into singles action.
Four Rams were able to put together two-set wins over their counterparts to prevail over the Big Red. Alejandro Argente won 6-0, 6-1 over Cornell's Spencer Clark, while Jaime Vazquez defeated Kyle Berman 6-3, 6-4.
At the third position, Filip Svensson took home a win against Jason Luu 6-1, 7-5. Alexis Heugas rounded out the day with a 7-5, 6-2 victory over Sam Fleck. Max Wennakoski began match-play, but his match was unfinished.
VCU will return to match-play Wednesday, March 28 as they take on CAA-opponent Delaware after the meeting was postponed from Saturday. VCU sits at 1-0 in the CAA and 15-4 on the season while Delaware is 1-1 in conference play and 4-5 overall.
VCU 4, Cornell 1
- Alexis Heugas/Antoine Baroz (VCU) vs. Danny Riggs/Alex Sidney (Cornell), DNP
- Max Wennakoski/Filip Svensson (VCU) vs. Jason Luu/Quoc Nguyen (Cornell), DNP
- Alejandro Argente/Jaime Vazquez (VCU) vs. Sam Fleck/Kyle Berman (Cornell), DNP
- Alexis Heugas (VCU) def. Sam Fleck (Cornell) 7-5, 6-2
- Max Wennakoski (VCU) vs. Danny Riggs (Cornell) 7-5, 3-3 DNF
- Filip Svensson (VCU) def. Jason Luu (Cornell) 6-1, 7-5
- Alex Sidney (Cornell) def. Antoine Baroz (VCU) 2-6, 6-2, 6-3
- Alejandro Argente (VCU) def. Spencer Clark (Cornell) 6-0, 6-1
- Jaime Vazquez (VCU) def. Kyle Berman (Cornell) 6-3, 6-4