RAMS SUFFER 6-0 LOSS AT N.C. STATE
RALEIGH, N.C.—A rainy Wednesday is not the mid-week action a tennis player looks for when looking for a big win. As the skies opened up, NC State snapped VCU's three game win streak when they defeated the Rams 6-0.
In doubles action, the Rams fought hard, but the Wolfpack took the point as they won the first two matches. The duo of Filip Svensson and Max Wennakoski, however, finished up doubles play with an 8-5 win over their opponents Dominic Hodgson and Matt Thomson, hoping to give their squad a boost going into the singles matches.
Singles play fared no better for VCU as they fell in all five played matches. The Rams saw three matches go to a third set, however, showing their heart and determination. After going down in their first sets, both Svensson and Antoine Baroz battled back to take the second sets in each of their matches. Both would eventually fall in a third set.
VCU falls to 12-3 on the season. They return to Richmond on Saturday, March 3 to take on 5th-ranked Duke, a rematch from earlier this season. Match play is set to begin at 11 a.m.
NC State 6, VCU 0
1. Julian Sullivan/Sean Weber (NC State) def. Alexis Heugas/Antoine Baroz (VCU), 8-5
2. Filip Svensson/Max Wennakoski (VCU) def. Dominic Hodgson/Matt Thomson, 8-5
3. Robbie Mudge/Jaime Pulgar def. Jaime Vazquez/Alejandro Argente (VCU), 8-4
1. No. 86 Jaime Pulgar (NCSU) def. Alexis Heugas (VCU), 6-2, 6-4
2. Dominic Hodgson (NCSU) def. No. 89 Max Wennakoski (VCU), 4-6, 7-5, 6-3
3. Robbie Mudge (NCSU) def. Filip Svensson (VCU), 7-5 (5), 4-6, 6-3
4. Austin Powell (NCSU) def. Antoine Baroz (VCU), 6-4, 5-7, 6-5
5. Julian Sullivan (NCSU) def. Jaime Vazquez (VCU), 6-3, 6-3
6. Beck Bond (NCSU) vs. Alejandro Argente (VCU), DNP