RICHMOND, Va.— For airline travlers, gloomy, rain-filled skies usually are the cause of delayed flights and hectic travel schedules. For Eagles, it seems as if Rams may be the deciding factor on how they take flight.
The VCU men's tennis team made sure that the Eagles didn't come close to taking flight on Sunday with a dominating 7-0 win over Winthrop on Super Sunday.
The Rams came out on the offensive when doubles competition began against the Eagles. All three doubles pairs put up wins for the Black & Gold to give themselves a 1-0 edge going into singles play. VCU took control early, going perfect in singles action to get a solid 7-0 victory.
Five Rams saw action in both doubles and singles competition, all of whom went a perfect 2-0 on the day.
The Black & Gold will next take on Binghamton at home Saturday, February 11. Match play is set for 10 a.m.
VCU 7, Winthrop 0
- Alexis Heugas/Camill Salomon (VCU) def. Nadav Ruppin/Guy Kubi (WU), 8-2
- Filip Svensson/Max Wennakoski (VCU) def. Dylan Comerford/Rich Meade (WU), 8-1
- Alejandro Argente/Jaime Vazquez Catoira (VCU) def. Yuta Hirokawa/Luka Stanic (WU), 8-2
- Alexis Heugas (VCU) def. Nadav Ruppin (WU) 6-3, 6-2
- Max Wennakoski (VCU) def. Yuta Hirokawa (WU) 6-2, 6-2
- Filip Svensson (VCU) def. Guy Kubi (WU) 6-3, 6-4
- Jaime Vazquez Catoira (VCU) def. Dylan Comerford (WU) 6-4, 6-4
- Camill Salomon (VCU) def. Luka Stanic (WU) 6-0, 6-0
- Rui Silva (VCU) def. Rich Meade (WU) 7-6(4), 6-2