WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. – Last March, the VCU men's basketball team toppled BCS opponent after BCS opponent en route to one of the most unforgettable runs in NCAA history.
This spring, the VCU men's tennis team is following suit as the Rams toppled their second straight BCS opponent with a 4-2 road win over Wake Forest on Friday afternoon.
The initial doubles wins by the pairing of sophomore Alejandro Argente and junior Jaime Vasquez (8-4) as well as that of senior Filip Svensson and junior Max Wennakoski (8-6) would prove the decisive point for the Rams.
In singles action, Argente would deliver the final win of the day for the Rams (2-6, 6-2, 6-3) behind strong victories by sophomore Antoine Baroz (6-2, 6-3) and junior Jaime Vazquez (6-3, 6-3).
VCU improves to 7-1 on the season while Wake Forest falls to 4-2.
The Rams return to action on Sunday, February 5th against Winthrop University at Thalhimer Tennis Center. Match play is set to start at 2 p.m.
VCU 4, Wake Forest 2
- David Hopkins/Amogh Prabhakar (WF) def. Alexis Heugas/Antoine Baroz (VCU), 8-6
- Filip Svensson/Max Wennakoski (VCU) def. Danny Kreyman/Adam Lee (WF), 8-6
- Alejandro Argente/Jaime Vasquez (VCU) def. Alex Tsai/Conner Sherwood (WF), 8-4
- David Hopkins (WF) def. Alexis Heugas (VCU) 6-3, 6-1
- #115 Danny Kreyman (WF) def. #47 Max Wennakoski (VCU) 6-0, 6-1
- Amogh Prabhakar (WF) vs. Filip Svensson (VCU) 6-7 (5-7), 3-3, unfinished
- Antoine Baroz (VCU) def. Adam Lee (WF) 6-2, 6-3
- Alejandro Argente (VCU) def. Conner Sherwood (WF) 2-6, 6-2, 6-3
- Jaime Vasquez (VCU) def. Alex Tsai (WF) 6-3, 6-3