RAMS FALL 4-0 TO WAKE FOREST IN FIRST ROUND OF NCAA TOURNAMENT
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – Sometimes you just have to tip the cap to your opponent.
That was the case on Friday for the Virginia Commonwealth University men's tennis team, who saw their 2011 season come to a close with a 4-0 defeat at the hands of Wake Forest in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.
"We knew it was going to be a tough match because we played them earlier in the year and knew how talented they were," Head Coach Paul Kostin said. "I'm proud of my guys for battling all year long and earning a spot in the postseason. Hopefully, we'll continue to work hard and improve in the offseason to get even further next year."
The Demon Deacons jumped on VCU early with two quick wins in doubles play to grab a 1-0 lead.
Danny Kreyman kept the momentum going when he toppled CAA Rookie of the Year, Antoine Baroz, 6-2, 6-1 at the third singles position.
The Rams would battle, but were unable to muster any points on the singles side before Wake Forest grabbed two more points to end the match and the Rams' season.
It was a year in which the Black & Gold captured yet another CAA regular season title, as well as posting the most wins (22) since 2006.
#33 Wake Forest 4, #46 Virginia Commonwealth 0
1. #91 Jonathan Wolff (WF) vs. Tim Johannsen (VCU) 4-6, 4-3, unfinished
2. Iain Atkinson (WF) def. Max Wennakoski (VCU) 6-3, 6-4
3. Danny Kreyman (WF) def. Antoine Baroz (VCU) 6-2, 6-1
4. David Hopkins (WF) vs. J. Vazquez Catoira (VCU) 6-4, 2-6, unfinished
5. Adam Lee (WF) vs. Alejandro Argente (VCU) 4-6, 2-5, unfinished
6. Amogh Prabhakar (WF) def. Filip Svensson (VCU) 6-2, 7-5
1. #35 Iain Atkinson/David Hopkins (WF) def. Tim Johannsen/Antoine Baroz (VCU) 8-6
2. Danny Kreyman/Jonathan Wolff (WF) def. Filip Svensson/Max Wennakoski (VCU) 8-4
3. Adam Lee/Amogh Prabhakar (WF) vs. Alejandro Argente/J. Vazquez Catoira (VCU) 6-4, unfinished
Virginia Commonwealth 22-7; National ranking #46
Wake Forest 14-11; National ranking #33
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1*); Singles (3,2,6*)