MONTGOMERY, Ala. – Facing a field stacked with talent, the
Virginia Commonwealth University knew they would have to bring the
On day one, the Rams did just that sweeping the Bulls of South Florida, 4-0 to advance to the second round against the winner of 17th-ranked Oklahoma and San Diego State.
For the first time in the past nine matches, the Black & Gold picked up the double point after victories by Thibaut Charron (Sens, France) and Tim Johanssen (Hohenlockstedt, Germany) at #1 and Max Wennakoski (Helsinki, Finland) and Filip Svensson (Angelholm, Sweden) at #3.
Charron kept the momentum going with a straight set win over Wael Kilani to give the Rams a 2-0 lead.
The youthful duo of Wennakoski and Svensson locked up the Black & Gold victory with wins at #4 and #6 singles.
VCU 4, #66 South Florida 0
1. #52 Charron def. #104 Wael Kilani (USF), 6-4, 6-0
2. Krocsko v. Jamal Adderley (USF), 3-6, 5-4, DNF
3. Johanssen v. Peter Frank (USF), 6-4, 1-0, DNF
4. Wennakoski def. Romain Deridder (USF), 6-2, 6-1
5. Salomon v. Mark Oljaca (USF), 4-6, 3-3, DNF
6. Svensson def. Juan Carlos Acuna Gerard (USF), 6-2, 6-4
Order of Finish: 1,4,6
1. Charron/Johanssen def. Estrada/Adderley (USF), 8-5
2. Kilani/Yoshizawa (USF) def. Krocsko/Salomon, 8-6
3. Wennakoski/Svennson def. Frank/Deridder (USF), 8-3
Order of Finish: 3,1,2