RICHMOND, Va. – Entering Wednesday
with a three-game winning streak, the Virginia Commonwealth
University men's tennis team was looking to get back on
against conference rival, Old Dominion.
Outstanding singles play led the Black & Gold (7-4) to a 5-2 decision over the Monarchs, who entered the match with a 10-3 mark this spring.
After dropping the doubles point, the Rams needed to step up in singles and that's exactly what happened, led by the top three in VCU's rotation, who all won in straight sets.
Senior Thibaut Charron (Sens, France) got things started with a 6-3, 6-4 win over Tobias Fanselow at #1 singles and junior Tim Johannsen (Hohenlockstedt, Germany) kept the momentum on VCU's side with a dominant 6-2, 6-1 win over Benjamin Chomette at #2.
The freshmen trio of Krisztian Krocsko (Budapest, Hungary), Max Wennakoski (Helsinki, Finland) and Camill Salomon (Limoges, France) then locked up the Rams' win with straight set victories at #3, #5 and #6.
VCU returns to Thalhimer Tennis Center on Sunday evening when they host #22 North Carolina in a 5 p.m. showdown.
#60 VCU 5, Old Dominion 2
1. Thibaut Charron def. Tobias Fanselow, 6-3, 6-4
2. Tim Johannsen def. Benjamin Chomette, 6-2, 6-1
3. Krisztian Krocsko def. Yakov Diskin, 6-3, 6-4
4. Krzysztof Muzalewski def. Filip Svensson, 7-5, 6-3
5. Wennakoski def. Albert Ochagavia, 6-0, 6-4
6. Camill Salomon def. Fahoum Fahoum, 7-5, 6-1
1. Charron/Johannsen def. Fanselow/Chomette, 8-4
2. Diskin/Muzalewski def. Salomon/Perman, 8-5
3. Fahoum/Ochagavia def. Krocsko/Wennakoski, 8-5