RAMS DROP ANOTHER CLOSE ONE, 4-3, TO #22 NORTH CAROLINA
RICHMOND, Va. – It will never be said
that the Virginia Commonwealth University men's tennis team
didn't challenge themselves.
The Rams faced their third top-25 opponent in the past two weeks on Sunday, this time it was #22 North Carolina, and once again found themselves on the short side on the scoreboard as the Tar Heels picked up the 4-3 win at Thalhimer Tennis Center.
VCU dropped the doubles point, but senior Thibaut Charron (Sens, France) dominated the 38th-ranked Clay Donato, 6-1, 6-4 to get the Rams on the board.
North Carolina would then get wins from Jose Hernandez, Stefan Hardy and Brennan Boyajian, all of whom rank in the top-110.
Freshmen sensations Max Wennakoski (Helsinki, Finland) and Camill Salomon (Limoges, France) would make the match close with wins at #5 and #6, including Wennakoski's 6-4, 6-7 (4), 10-3 win over 45th-ranked Ryan Noble.
The Rams return to the courts next Sunday when they travel to Cary, N.C. to take on the Wolfpack of N.C. State in an 11 a.m. match.
#22 North Carolina, #60 VCU 3
1. Thibaut Charron def. #38 Clay Donato (UNC), 6-1, 6-4
2.#97 Jose Hernandez (UNC) def. Krisztian Krocsko, 6-3, 6-1
3. #107 Stefan Hardy (UNC) def. Tim Johannsen, 5-7, 6-3, 6-4
4. #70 Brennan Boyajian (UNC) def. Filip Svensson, 6-0, 7-5
5. Wennakoski def. #45 Ryan Noble (UNC), 6-4, 6-7 (4), 10-3
6. Camill Salomon def. Andrew Crone (UNC), 6-2, 6-2
Order of Finish: 2,1,4,3,6,5
1. Donato/Hardy def. Charron/Johannsen, 8-4
2. Crone/Ahari def. Salomon/Perman, 8-2
3. Hernandez/Boyajian def. Krocsko/Svensson, 5-5 DNF
Order of Finish: 2,1