RICHMOND, Va. – Head Coach
Paul Kostin of the Virginia Commonwealth
University men's tennis team may have a few less hairs on his
head after this spring.
For the fifth time in the past six matches, Kostin's Rams found themselves on the wrong end of the scoreboard and for the fourth time in that span, they fell just one point short, 4-3. This time it was the 41st-ranked Wolfpack of N.C. State that topped the Black & Gold.
N.C. State jumped on the Rams early, taking the doubles point, but junior Tim Johanssen (Hohenlockstedt, Germany) got VCU on the board with a 6-3, 6-1 win over Robe Lowe at #2 singles.
That's where the Black & Gold's momentum would be halted as the Wolfpack won three straight singles matches to secure the win.
Senior Thibaut Charron (Sens France) and freshman Max Wennakoski (Helsinki, Finland) concluded the day's play with victories at #1 and #5 singles, respectively.
The Rams return to Thalhimer Tennis Center, this Thursday, March 11th, to take on the Mustangs of SMU in a 2 p.m. match.
#44 North Carolina State 4, #61 VCU 3
1. #52 Charron def. #94 Jaime Pulgar (NCSU), 7-5, 6-4
2. Johanssen def. Rob Lowe (NCSU) , 6-3, 6-1
3. Dominic Hodgson (NCSU) def. Krocsko, 6-2, 6-2
4. #125 Thomson (NCSU) def. Svennson, 6-4, 6-2
5. Wennakoski def. Banos, 6-2, 7-6 (4)
6. Rafael Paez (NCSU) def. Camill Salomon, 6-2, 6-3
Order of Finish: 2,3,6,4,5,1
1. Lowe/Prandecki (NCSU) def. Charron/Johanssen, 8-2
2. Hodgson/Thomson (NCSU) def. Salomon/Wennakoski, 8-2
3. Banos/Pulgar (NCSU) def. Krocsko/Svennson, 8-5
Order of Finish: 2,1,3