Final Score: #4 Indiana 5, VCU 0
Location: Bloomington, Ind. (Bill Armstrong Stadium)
Records: VCU (3-2-0), Indiana (4-1-0)
The Short Story: VCU falls to No. 4 Indiana for its first road match of the season.
- Senior midfielder Joseph Gonnella took the first shot of the match in the 6th minute that went right over the top crossbar.
- Sophomore keeper Mario Sequeira and senior keeper Joseph Rice each tallied one save.
- Indiana held a 12-2 edge in shots.
- The Hoosiers totaled eight fouls, compared to five for VCU in the scrappy match.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU took the first attempt at goal as Gonnella's shot sailed just over the crossbar.
- Indiana's first three goals came in a span of five minutes.
- Sequeira and Rice both tallied one save a piece in the first and second half, respectively.
- Junior midfielder Fortia Munts forced the first save of the night for Indiana's keeper in the 38thminute.
HEAD COACH DAVID GIFFARD
"I'll start by saying, for me IU is the favorite to win the national title. They return nine starters and most of the key reserves from the team who lost against the run of play in the title game last year to Standford. We had a difficult first 45 minutes and a really tough 12-minute stretch where we conceded four goals but that's what we came here to learn. This is the level. This group needed to see the level and learn from it. When you play weaker opposition, sometimes it can hide what isn't right and you don't pay for it. Tonight, we paid for our mistakes in the first half. We came and played with more courage and did much better and carried a lot of the game in the second half. Unfortunately for the result tonight, the match was already done. Playing the way we play takes time to build and you can't skip steps. In the big picture, tonight will be a big step for us."
VCU returns home to face off against Pittsburgh on Tuesday, Sept. 11, at Sports Backers Stadium.