Final Score: Georgia Southern 2, VCU 0
Location: Richmond, Va. (Sports Backers Stadium)
Records: VCU (0-1-0), Georgia Southern (1-0-0)
The Short Story: VCU dropped its 2018 season-opener to Georgia Southern, which was powered by two goals from Adam Davie.
- VCU sophomore keeper Mario Sequeira made three saves.
- Junior midfielder Travis Cooke led VCU with three shots, including a pair on goal.
- Junior midfielder Siad Haji played all 90 minutes for the Rams and provided VCU with a pair of scoring opportunities, including one second-half chance that glanced off the side of the goal.
- VCU sophomore Ulrik Edvardsen, sophomore Zeron Sewell and senior Peter Pearson also took one shot each.
- Davie scored both goals in the game for the Eagles, converting in the 20th and 55th minutes.
- The Eagles held a 13-8 edge in shots.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Cooke threatened for VCU in the 24thminute, but his attempt was turned away by Georgia Southern keeper Jokull Blaengsson.
- With the Rams trailing 1-0, Cooke led another run in the waning seconds of the first, but Blaengsson covered up the shot to send the Eagles into the locker room with the lead.
- Cooke and Pearson's back-to-back shots in the 65thminute were blocked and wide, respectively.
- Sequeira saved back-to-back shots in the 75thminute.
- VCU continued to push ahead late into the match, with Edvardsen and Sewell each producing scoring opportunities, but one shot sailed high over the crossbar and the other was blocked by an Eagles' defender.
VCU returns to action when it hosts Radford at 5 p.m. on Aug. 26 at Sports Backers Stadium.
PLEDGE FOR A WIN
This season, you can pledge to give for every VCU win across all teams. It's only three easy steps to help us get stronger after every win. Go to www.pledgeforawin.com to learn more and donate. All donations go to the Ram Athletic Fund.