Final Score: St. Bonaventure 2, #22 VCU 1
Location: Marra Sports Complex (St.Bonaventure, N.Y.)
Records: VCU 10-5-0 (6-2-0 A-10), St.Bonaventure 8-8-2 (4-4-0 A-10)
The Short Story: A late second half goal would ruin the end to a great season for the VCU Rams on Wednesday night, as they would drop a 2-1 loss at St. Bonaventure. After the game, it would be revealed that VCU would be the #2 seed in the upcoming Atlantic 10 Tournament.
- VCU outshot the Bonnies 9-5 over the game, also winning the corner kick battle 7-2 over the 90 minutes.
- Rafael Andrade Santos scored the lone goal for the Rams, his ninth of the season. He will enter the postseason as the teams leading point-getter.
- Siad Haji notched his eighth assist of the season on Santos' goal. He is now tied for the third most assists in a single season by a VCU Men's Soccer player.
- Francesco Amorosino took three shots, while Luc Fatton and Fortia Munts added two apiece.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- It didn't take long for the Rams to get on the board, as Santos notched his goal in the fourth minute of the game. As the ball fell to Haji, he passed it off to Santos who finished low left corner. That would give VCU the 1-0 lead.
- Just minutes later in the eighth minute, St. Bonaventure would tie the game at 1-1 as Kieran Toland scored his fourth goal of the season.
- Over the next 35 minutes, play would even out and after 45 minutes going into the half, the score remained tied at 1-1.
- The Rams continued to push on offense, creating multiple opportunities soon into the second half.
- However, it would be the Bonnies gaining the lead in the 59th minute, as Nicola Bonso scored, this time off an assist from Toland. That would give the Bonnies a 2-1 lead.
- VCU's offense stayed strong up front but couldn't find the net. Highlighted by a crossbar deny on a chance from Ulrik Edvarsen with just seconds left, the ball never broke in favor of the Rams.
VCU returns to the pitch this upcoming Sunday in the first round of the Atlantic 10 Tournament. The Rams will play host to a campus site game as they enter the tournament as the #2 seed. They will host St. Bonaventure, who enters the tournament as the #7 seed.