Final Score: VCU 2, Rhode Island 1
Location: Sports Backers Stadium (Richmond, Va.)
Records: VCU 10-4-0 (6-1-0 A-10), Rhode Island 8-5-3 (3-3-1 A-10)
The Short Story: It would be the tail of two halves for the VCU Rams on Saturday night in their final A-10 home game of the regular season. Down 1-0 at the half, the Rams found their groove in the final 45 minutes to score a pair of goals and hold off the Rhode Island Rams for a final score of 2-1 on Senior Night. VCU is now winners in 9 of their last 10 games this season.
- VCU outshot Rhode Island 18-8 overall on the night, but collected 16 of their shots in the second half.
- Rhode Island collected 15 total fouls and five different yellow cards on the night.
- Both Rafael Andrade Santos and Francesco Amorosino notched their eighth goals of the season.
- Santos added an assist, as he paces the Rams with 20 points. He is the first Ram to reach the 20-point plateau this season. Amorosino sits second with 17 points this season.
- Goaltender Mario Sequeira made two saves in his 10th win this season.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The opening 15 minutes brought an overall possession game, with the first shot for either team coming in the 17th minute.
- Rhode Island got the first strike, as they scored off a corner kick in the 28th minute. Tyler Dickson would score, having it be his first of the season and giving Rhode Island a 1-0 lead.
- As that score remained after one half, the Black & Gold came out flying in the second half.
- The offensive persistence by VCU came to fruition in the 65th minute, as Santos got open inside the 18 and ripped a shot into the low left corner of the net to tie the game at 1-1.
- 13 minutes later in the 78th minute, VCU would get the go-ahead goal from Amorosino, who would collect the goal off a blocked shot from Santos giving VCU the 2-1 lead with 13 minutes to play.
- The Black & Gold held down the fort though the 90 minute mark, completing the comeback win.
VCU returns to the pitch this upcoming Wednesday, November 1 when they hit the road for their final Atlantic 10 regular season showdown. The Rams will be taking on the St. Bonaventure Bonnies, with kickoff set for 7 p.m.