Final Score: VCU 4, Davidson 1
Location: Sports Backers Stadium (Richmond, Va.)
Records: VCU 4-3-0 (1-0-0 A-10), Davidson 5-4-1 (0-2-0 A-10)
The Short Story: Senior Luc Fatton erupted for three goals to propel VCU to its third straight victory, a 4-1 win over Davidson Wednesday night, in the Rams' Atlantic 10 Conference opener at Sports Backers Stadium.
- With three goals Wednesday, Fatton has moved into the team lead in both points (13) and goals (5).
- His hat trick would also be his second in a VCU uniform, as he did last season on Sept. 20 against Old Dominion at Sports Backers Stadium.
- Ryo Shimazaki would score his first goal of the season, while Rafael Andrade Santos and Siad Haji would add assists.
- Freshman goalkeeper Mario Sequeira earned his fourth win of the season, pushing his record in net to 4-0-0 on the season.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- It took less than five minutes for the Rams to get on the board with Fatton's first goal of the night. A perfect through pass from Siad Haji from 25 yards out found Fatton around the six yard box, where he was able to finish low left corner to give VCU the 1-0 lead.
- Just 15 minutes later, Fatton would strike again for his second goal of the night. Another through pass, this time from Rafael Andrade Santos would help Fatton up the right side of the box. He would rip a shot from 16 yards out that banged off the near post and in the goal for a VCU 2-0 lead.
- The game would enter halftime with a 2-0 score, as the Rams outshot the Wildcats 8-3 in the first half.
- Davidson would fight back with a goal in the 59th minute, as Jaylen Thompson scored for the Wildcats to bring them within one goal, 2-1.
- Just five minutes later in the 64th minute, Ryo Shimazaki would ice the game with a goal of his own from about 26 yards out. His shot would nail the twine in the upper left corner of the net for a 3-1 Rams lead.
- Fatton then added his third goal of the night just a minute later in the 65th minute as he snuck a shot in far post after putting the ball through the defenders legs on a run through the left side of the box.
- The final goal from Fatton would give VCU a 4-1 lead that they would hold through the 90th minute for the win.
VCU returns to the pitch on Sunday, Oct. 7 as the Rams hit the road for the Bronx, N.Y. to take on Fordham in a rematch of last season's A-10 Championship game. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.