Final Score: Dayton 3, VCU 2 (OT)
Location: Sports Backers Stadium (Richmond, Va.)
Records: VCU 6-9-3 (4-3-1), Dayton 7-8-3 (3-3-2)
The Short Story: It would be an overtime winner to sink the VCU Rams on Saturday night, as Alvaro Navarro would score his second goal of the game to send the Dayton Flyers home with a 3-2 victory over VCU on Senior Night at Sports Backers Stadium.
- Despite the loss, the Rams clinched a spot in the postseason, as they will enter the Atlantic 10 Championships as the fifth seed of the tournament, finishing the season with a total of 13 points.
- For the game, Francesco Amorosino and Brandon Eaton each scored for VCU, as both were keys on offense for the night, combining for nine of the Rams 20 shots on the evening.
- The Rams out-shot Dayton 20-12 in the contest, also taking the edge in corners 7-5.
- Goalkeeper Pierre Gardan made five saves on nine shots on goal on the evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Dayton got everything started in the fourth minute of play, as Kennedy Nwabia skimmed a header over the hands of Pierre Gardan to give Dayton an early 1-0 lead.
- The Rams caught their stride as the 25th minute came around, as they began to pepper shots on Dayton goalkeeper Federico Barrios.
- VCU broke through with their first score in the 38th minute, as Francesco Amorosino was in the right place at the right time. A cross from Luc Fatton defelcted off the goalie, and dribbled to an open far post. Waiting there was Amorosino, who poked it home for his fourth goal of the season, tying the game at 1-1.
- It didn't take long for VCU to get another one, as just minutes later, Brandon Eaton delivered a great goal from seven yards out off of a corner kick. As the cross came in with under a minute to play in the first half from Jorge Herranz, Travis Cooke got the first foot on it, poked it forward, and found Eaton for the score. The goal would send the Black and Gold into halftime with a 2-1 lead.
- Amorosino almost found his second goal of the night in the 58th minute, as a set piece free kick from Herranz came his way. However, his header would slide wide of the left post, keeping the score at 2-1 in favor of VCU.
- With the Rams smooth sailing, Dayton struck with an equalizer in the 69th minute, as Alvaro Navarro scored his second goal of the season thanks to a solid shot from 16 yards out. Rafael Gamboa would assist the play.
- Greg Boehme would make a clutch defensive save of a corner kick in the 79th minute, as Dayton looked to get a slow rolling goal in far post. However, standing there was Boehme, who would clear the chance and keep things 2-2.
- After the score remained 2-2 after 90 minutes, the game would go to overtime. In the 97th minute, Navarro would clinch his second goal of the game to send Dayton home with a 3-2 win.
VCU returns to the pitch next Thursday, Nov. 10, as they will open up postseason play as the fifth-seed in the Atlantic 10 Conference tournament. They will square off against the fourth-seeded UMass Minutemen, with kickoff slated for 2 p.m. at host-site Davidson.