Final Score: VCU 2, Davidson 1
Location: Alumni Stadium (Davidson, N.C.)
Records: VCU 6-8-3 (4-2-1), Davidson 3-12-1 (1-5-1)
The Short Story: It would be a tale of two goal scorers on Saturday night for the VCU Rams, as Luc Fatton, who clinched the game winner, leads the team in goals on the season. Greg Boehme would also score for the Black and Gold, which is his first of the season in the Rams 2-1 victory over the Davidson Wildcats on the road.
- The goal was Boehme's first of the year, while Fatton now has sole possession of first place in the goals column for VCU.
- Davidson had nine corner kick opportunities in the zone, while VCU only has two total on the game.
- Goalkeeper Pierre Gardan made one save in the inning effort.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU got off to a hot start, as Jorge Herranz got two looks at the net, with one shot on net that was saved by Davidson goalkeeper Andrew Kenneson.
- As the 14th minute ticked up, Boehme unleashed a shot off a missed clear by the Wildcats. The shot would find the back of the net, and give the Rams the 1-0 lead.
- The Black and Gold would have two other solid shots toward the net in the first half, as both Rafael Andrade Santos and Brandon Eaton each got a look. However, both shots flew wide of the target.
- After the first 45 minutes, VCU held the 1-0 lead. As the second half started, the Rams got more corner chances over the first few minutes than shots on goal.
- In the 75th minute, Eli Lockaby would make a solid centering pass, which was met by Fatton and launched into the back of the net for a 2-0 Rams lead.
- Davidson got themselves on the board in the 83rd minute, as Maxi Pragnell collected his eighth goal of the season for the Wildcats.
- A late push from the Wildcats found two shots and a corner kick opportunity in the final minute. However, Gardan turned away all efforts to lift VCU to the 2-1 victory.
VCU returns to the pitch next Saturday, November 5 when they play host to Dayton to close out their regular season. The match will feature a kickoff time of 1 p.m. at Sports Backers Stadium.